ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Bears in Superior?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 10/10/2008, 7:21 am    Post subject: Bears in Superior? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got into a little discussion with a friend that doesn't seem to believe that there ARE bears in Superior. Can anyone back me up here?

I took these bear print pictures at Devil's Canyon maybe a year or so ago. We also saw big bear scat.

Has anyone else had a bear encounter as close to town as Superior?
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 10/10/2008, 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Part of the range for them, they are also in White Canyon Wilderness. Not sure what your picture is, try taking a side shot and may what to include other pictures that depict the stride and not just a single track if possible.
Deborah

PostPosted: 10/10/2008, 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, that's one big footprint. I guess there are plenty of nuts, berries and bugs in Devil's Canyon for them to eat.
If bighorn can live near the Morenci Mine I am sure Bears can do the same.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 10/10/2008, 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've seen lots of tracks and scat near Reavis Ranch. I also remember a few years ago, maybe 8 or 10, when drought and low food supplies forced some bears to wander into Phoenix for a snack. I bet a google search would yield a couple of articles. If bears live close to Phoenix, I'm sure they're close to Superior as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: