ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
The Big Dipper, Salvage, and a Hemi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 9/1/2008, 2:28 pm    Post subject: The Big Dipper, Salvage, and a Hemi Reply to topic Reply with quote

HELP!!! Pete and I want to identify the piece of metal we salvaged out of the canyon. Go to the gallery and see the pictures, what do you think it is? We really want to know what the heck we got out of there. If you want to read the story please continue:

So Pete and I orginally had planned a hike to Hellsgate, but Pete wanted something a little closer and not as long so he mentioned the Big Dipper in the Bradshaw Mountains near Crown King. Since I hadn't done it I was game. I met up with Pete off of I-17 and New River to be in shock to see Pete's new Jeep. It's a Hemi baby!!!!!! Blows away my Jeep and I was excited to sit shotgun in this ride. We got back on the I-17 and headed to the Bumble Bee exit. A nice drive and a nice off road stretch to get you to the trailhead. We were both amazed to see the fire damage from the Lane 2 fire and surprised on how close it was to Crown King and how it didn't reach Crown King. We got to the trailhead and started hiking just after 9am.

45 minutes later we were down to the wash and noticed a huge chunk of metal. Pete said we were going to carry it out of here when we came back and I just laughed and said yeah right. I tested the weight on it and figure it to be around 25-30 pounds???? We left that be and started in the wash towards the Big Dipper swimming hole. Along the we we noticed several critter tracks including some nice kitty prints. We were both on the alert but continued on. It didn't take long to reach the swimming hole. We got there to fing a set rope in place to help guide you down. We tested the rope and decided to go for it. I went first, so Pete had to get some pictures. Note- You don't have the best grip in old trailrunner shoes that are already soaking wet. Well half way down I slipped but didn't let go of the rope. I lowered myself down some more and then SPLASH DOWN. Into the Big Dipper I was. The water wasn't too cold and it felt great. Pete followed and we both got a nice cool down. We didn't stay there for too long and decided to get back up. I again went first and instead of using the rope to climb out with, I just rock climbed on out as I found a nice spot to do this in. Pete used the rope to get back up and looked like a pro doing it. Good Job Pete.

We got our things together and decided we were going to go into Crown King for a drink. Along the way back we stopped here and there to look for a gold nugget in the sand. I guess there is gold in the Bradshaw's so it never hurts to look right? Of course we didn't find any in the spots we looked and got back to the trail where that huge chunk of metal was. We decided to give it a go on hauling it out. I always carry 25 feet of rope with me so I got that out and Pete and I tried to tie it to his pack. Our first attempt was a horrible effort and I was already about to say forget about it. Pete had an idea and started over. He rigged it a new way and it seemed that it was going to work. I put the pack on to see what is was going to be like. I said it felt good and so we started to give it a shot.

So now i'm wearing Pete's pack with this metal chunk roped to it and Pete is wearing my pack which made stopping to get a drink a whole new experience. (Use your own imagination on drinking from a camelpak on someone else) We actually made real good time going back up the canyon to the trailhead and made it back in under an hour. We only stopped 4 times for a drink and ran into some hikers going down in which they asked if we were hauling trash out. A good guess wouldn't you say? We were going to make up a story but decided not to and just keep going. It was starting to come loose towards the end but held together very well thanks to Pete's doing. My left shoulder is a little stiff today, but other than that it is very well. Pete and I took turns guessing on what this is but really do not know. So that's why we want you guys and gals to take a guess.

We went into Crown King for a much deserved drink and had some good conversation with some locals and others while at the drinking hole. It was great to get on out and get a nice hike in. I really want to go back to the area and go further into the canyon. When it cools down a bit perhaps I can do it this year. We will see. Pete it was great to see you again and do another adventure. More to come soon.

Take it easy everyone and get out for a hike.

enjoi,
Ken

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 9/1/2008, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It looks like a piece of aircraft aluminum to me. Was there anything else around where you found it?
pfredricks

PostPosted: 9/1/2008, 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I believe that this is the link to the photos
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvt25&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

The piece looks to be aluminum. We found it at the edge of a wash, and it wasn't there before, so who knows where it actually originated from.

It was an awesome hike and Desert Boonie is an amazingly rugged hiker and was able to haul it out. The original rig job held it up on his shoulders, but he threw it off at the top so it was hanging big time in the pic.

Anyway, we believe in leaving things a little cleaner than we found it, in this case, alot cleaner. It was a great hike with ya brother~

Incredibly, part of the Algonquin trail appeared to be a fireline, which didn't get jumped..for those of you have seen it, that is pretty amazing! Also what used to be the narrows down there, is COMPLETELY filled in with dirt and sand runoff. It really shows you how much stuff starts to runoff once a fire hits. Makes me wonder if the big dipper will have a similar fate and fill in with runoff dirt.

See it soon, in case it does!

Regards!
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 9/1/2008, 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

oh, also, if anyone is going to the big dipper soon, please take about 40-50 feet of good rope that you don't mind leaving there. THe one there has a section that is only about pencil thin. It needs to be replaced.
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 9/1/2008, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Boy that was a BIG piece of metal there. you thought maybe 25-30lbs. Wow!!
That was one heck of a garbage clean up ... That had to be quite tiring and awkward to hike out with.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Wreckchaser

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 4:20 am    Post subject: Aluminum Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like aircraft aluminum to me. I have seen a few pieces before and carried some also. It could have washed down from an area above the location that it was found, however people pick stuff up at a crash sites with the idea that they are going to do something with them and then get tired of packing the things. What happens then is, parts are found in locations where they would never have been due to the actual crash. I just found a section of bullet proof glass on the trail going to Bassett Peak. I am sure that it came off of the B-24 bomber that is miles above the area that I found it. Somebody must have used a mule to get that piece of glass down from the actual crash site.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It does look lie airplane. I say as Trey over on http://www.aircraftarchaeology.com . He probably would have some input too.

GTG
KFarm

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It could be from the Crown King T-6 Crash Sites.

John Wayne
Wreckchaser

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Aircraft Aluminum Reply to topic Reply with quote

Craig Fuller at www.AviationArchaeology.com has extensive knowledge of aircraft parts and all the crash sites in the Crown King area. He even has quite a few T-6 parts that he has collected from different crash sites. If there is a part number somewhere on that piece, there is a good chance that he can identify it. Craig just moved from Mesa to California, but he would be more than happy to help.
Daryl

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I don't see any rivets or rivet holes, but it may be a part of a part? Also, I don't see a lot of aluminum welds on airplanes? How big is it? Can you add a photo with something common inside it for frame of reference?

I'll send it to some plane nuts here to see what they think.

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 5:23 pm    Post subject: Aluminum Welds and Rivets Reply to topic Reply with quote

You do find aluminum welds on aircraft, but more so on post WWII aircraft. From the way this part is bent, I would say it is not off of a jet aircraft. Jet aircraft aluminum tends to be thicker and will break up and shatter more than bend and dent. Not all parts that you find at these sites have rivets, but judging from the damage that this part has, the riveted sections could have been torn off during the cash. There also seems to be some fire damage to this part, which is very common in aircraft crashes. I have been to about 100 sites over the years and it is rare to find an aircraft that did not have some type of fire damage. I would like to forward these photos on to a friend of mine (Craig Fuller of AAIR). He is a real expert on this stuff.

I was hoping to get away from this wreck chasing hobby, but I can now see that it only takes a little picture of a part and I am back at it again.
Desert-Boonie

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the input and interest in this. I did a measurement of this, well kind of. Approx. 31" high, 30" wide and the diameter of the condensed opening is 13" wide. No markings or numbers are stamped into this piece. I do not think it is from an airplane, but then again what do I know? Pete's first guess was a gaurd rail end? Might be something more along the line of that, but for some reason I just want to know what this is. Smile Thanks again for the input everyone.

"If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
pfredricks

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

just a thought, washes being what they are, this could have experienced significant dents and bending being washed downhill too! There are also some flanges/grooves on the inside of the "object" and it seems like tehre might be some rivets to those. Maybe some details shots of that or maybe Ken might be willing to show it to the parties interested.
Wreckchaser

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 8:48 pm    Post subject: Aluminum Part Reply to topic Reply with quote

pfredricks wrote:
just a thought, washes being what they are, this could have experienced significant dents and bending being washed downhill too! There are also some flanges/grooves on the inside of the "object" and it seems like tehre might be some rivets to those. Maybe some details shots of that or maybe Ken might be willing to show it to the parties interested.

The damage to the part is consistant with aircraft crash debris. I have seen tons of the stuff and it sure looks like it to me. If you are nowhere near a traveled road, any type of mining operation or other form of civilization, the question you have to ask yourself is, how did a piece of aluminum like this get here? Parts from crashed aircraft do wash down from higher places, but larger pieces like the one in the photo tend to hang up on things. If there are no other smaller pieces of debris around the immediate area where this part was found, it could have been carried there by someone and just left where you found it. That being the case, the crash site could be miles from where you found this part.

Since I can't actually see this part, I can not positively say for certain what it is, but it is interesting.
pfredricks

PostPosted: 9/2/2008, 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yes, it was Just another idea......
but, I KNOW that it wasn't there last year. I would've seen it then...so somehow, it got there. We didn't do any kind of site survey. But, I can tell you that the wash would have immense water flow at certain times.

THe mystery continues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: