ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mt Audubon in the Indian Peaks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 7/26/2008, 9:44 pm    Post subject: Mt Audubon in the Indian Peaks Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been in Colorado for 4 years now and have only checked out the IPW area only once before. Almost every day I look up there from Denver and see Mt. Audubon. This mountain get my attention the first time I saw it from Denver. At the time I did not know the name of it, but was determined to find out what it was, and how high it was. I've also wanted to hike it since then.

I finally got my chance to hike the 13,223 foot Mt. Audubon. No, not a 14er, but the scenery was breathtaking the same. Unfortunatly this peak is the busiest peak in the Indian Peaks. Still not nearly as busy as the 14ers in Northern CO, but it sees its traffic.

This past 4 years I have mainly hiked alone. But I have found a new hiking partner, Daniel. He has grown up in Colorado, lived out of the state for some years, then moved Back. He has hardly done too much hiking in Colorado, so this area was totally new to him. It was finally good to summit with somebody and share the experience with.

Mount Audubon ended up being much easier then what I thought it would be, even though it took us about 4 hours to summit. The day was a beautiful blue sky day with only a few very small puffy clouds. Seeing that there was no thunder storm danger, we slowly meandered up the trail. The last 600 feet of this hike did get much more difficult though. Once we got on top we were greated with some of the best views I've seen from any of the thirteeners I've done so far. We stayed on the summit for about an hour before heading back down.

The day ended up being a wonderfully beautiful day with a break in the storms. It had rained the day before and after we hiked this amazing peak. There was a small blue opening and we took it!

I have posted pictues in the gallery.
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvs24&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/27/2008, 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a good time and some really nice pictures. I like Ambika liked those flower shots. How pretty.
Thanks for sharing

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
sbkelley

PostPosted: 7/28/2008, 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Audubon is indeed a beautiful hike. Nice pictures, too.

Quote:
No, not a 14er, but the scenery was breathtaking the same

Excellent observation about the Indian Peaks - I do think they're as scenic, if not more so, than many 14ers. Sharp cliffs and the array of lakes are on display there. I did this hike in the fall of 2005 with a traverse to Paiute Peak and was very impressed with the area.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 7/28/2008, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sbkelley wrote:
Audubon is indeed a beautiful hike. Nice pictures, too.

Excellent observation about the Indian Peaks - I do think they're as scenic, if not more so, than many 14ers. Sharp cliffs and the array of lakes are on display there. I did this hike in the fall of 2005 with a traverse to Paiute Peak and was very impressed with the area.

I wanted to do the traverse, but it took us way to long to get to the top. Besides, I have not to much hiking and am not in the greatest shape. Some day I'll go back and do it again and get Paiute as well.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: