ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
A fun weekend at the Canyon...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 9:11 pm    Post subject: A fun weekend at the Canyon... Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wandered up to the Canyon last weekend for some rest and relaxation, and to scout out a couple (easy) routes I haven't explored before. I headed up Friday right after work hoping to find a place in the campground. (I took my trailer, I was serious about rest and relaxation part...), unfortunately it was full, but there was an opening for Saturday night so I reserved that one and headed out into the forest for the evening.

I slept in the Saturday morning (until 6:00 AM), then after a leisurely breakfast I drove out to the Buggelin picnic area to explore the route out to the Sinking Ship. I didn't know if I could climb it, but it would be fun just to wander out to the area and check it out, so off through the forest I went. I had read directions on how to get there, and came pretty close to following them too. Unfortunately I ended up a bit too high, and ended up on top of some cliffs looking down at the saddle I was aiming for.

I contemplated for a few moments trying to scramble down, but then was overcome with good sense, and didn't. It was getting fairly warm by this time, so I headed back through the forest, and eventually made it back to the truck.

I then went back to the village and checked into the campground. The afternoon was spent reading, napping, and working on my laptop, mostly entering all the routes I've done into the topo software I have. I seem to have explored a lot of routes in the Canyon. It was a very relaxing afternoon...

The next morning I was heading down the Bright Angel trail at 5:00 AM. At the first switchback there is a path leading off along the slope in the Toroweap. I've been out there a number of times, but always turned back because of time constraints or some other reason. I've always wondered just how far one could go before getting cliffed out...

I'm still wondering that. I did, however, go a lot further than I've ever gone before, clear around the corner to where you couldn't see the hotels on the rim any more. At one little bay, the route in was steep and slippery and I didn't trust my ankle enough to attempt it, so I left it for another day. It was still a great little hike, and there were a few 'interesting' spots along the way, such as the place where I had to get on my hands and knees to crawl under the bush...

Other spots weren't too bad, and had great views..

On the way back, I followed what turned out to be a wrong path which eventually just faded out. I felt that I was way too low, so I just scrambled back up the slope, dodging some ledges and impassable areas until I found the 'right path' again.

It was steep in spots...

But most of the route was just walking along a little path among the boulders and trees....

I got back to the rim at 7:30, pretty tired, but satisfied after another fun exploration. After a nice breakfast, I packed up and headed home. It was a fun time of poking around, and I'm looking forward to going back and exploring more in both areas...
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/9/2008, 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your trip into the canyon Smile Good to see that you are getting around ....

and when did easy = crawl on hand and knees Confused Now what would you descibe the "interesting" sections ... Wink
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/10/2008, 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
It was still a great little hike, and there were a few 'interesting' spots along the way, such as the place where I had to get on my hands and knees to crawl under the bush...

Eek You be careful out there!!

desertgirl wrote:
and when did easy = crawl on hand and knees Confused Now what would you descibe the "interesting" sections ... Wink

Oh you know, the best that he 'can recall'...they're usually just a step away from heart stopping terror ...it's just a walk in the park! Rolling Eyes

Nice pics! Glad you had fun! Ok

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/10/2008, 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Awesome hike Hnak! Looks like you had a good time! Good to get into the canyon huh?!

I want to shine!
IGO

PostPosted: 6/10/2008, 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love those little exploritory hikes. This looks like a great one.
Hank, I had computer problems when all this stuff happened with you and I'm not very well versed in how you are doing but I hope like crazy that your eventual dimise (way way down the road) is quick and spectacular. I hope that sounded right.
Keep on truckin' my friend.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
beckett

PostPosted: 6/10/2008, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got back into the canyon Hank. I think I know what little path off Bright Angel you are talking about. Last summer when Montana Diana and I were there I remember pointing out several small paths and saying "That's one of Hank's trails but this is the real trail." I would love to explore a couple of those off shoots myself someday.

Pictures are great. Looks like a beautiful day in the canyon.

Linda

-- Walter Winchell, American newspaper commentator
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/10/2008, 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds like a wonderful weekend Hank. That sounds like something I could consider... just spending a weekend up there, hmmm gives me Ideas Shocked Uh Oh Lucy's brain is spinning and thinking again

Ambika said:
and when did easy = crawl on hand and knees. Is this how I know how to judge them Hank?

Careful with the ankle and take it easy, but I bet it did feel good to get out, if only for a little jaunt Wink

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/11/2008, 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks all, I certainly did have a nice weekend up there, and it was nice to get below the rim, even if it was only a little bit. Can't wait to go back, although I might wait for some cooler temps.... I'll just have to play in some creeks until then.. Yep, it's a swimmer!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/11/2008, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hnak wrote:
I'll just have to play in some creeks until then.. Yep, it's a swimmer!

Leave your ballet shoes at home!!!! Eek

I want to shine!
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/11/2008, 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
Hnak wrote:
I'll just have to play in some creeks until then.. Yep, it's a swimmer!

Leave your ballet shoes at home!!!! Eek

Yes ma'am.... Embarassed
doug

PostPosted: 6/12/2008, 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I need to get back to it too. I've been cleared by the doc to start hitting the gym but not to start hiking. Good to see that Hank is back at it.
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 6/13/2008, 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been dying to do this hike! My brother did it and we can't seem to coordinate our schedules for him to take me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: