ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
SSSSSSSSnakes!!!! in the gallery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 5/29/2008, 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Funny, Jen just got an email with those same 4 pictures of the snakes. Says they were out on a Mothers Day hike near Tucson.
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 5/29/2008, 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

wanderingsoul wrote:
Oh my goodness, I got goose bumps just looking. Wow!! Hey Snake Charmer you weren't out hiking this weekend were you???

Let me clearly state that I was on NO trail in Tucson~(although it looks like I should have been).

Surprised Surprised

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 5/29/2008, 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I read a book about snakes in Australia where a similar thing occurred. Basically the snakes had to adapt because their prey adapted to the venom. Interesting stuff!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, at least we know where all of the rattle snakes are, phew! (At least for now) Crazy
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK guys. Enough already. Snopes.com has not yet picked this up, but obviously it's some sort of a hoax. I just got an email forwarded to me that says it was near Riverton, Utah. That some family was out on a spring day hike and saw this. There were two photos included, one showed more of the hillside. Did not look like Tucson at all. I don't know where Riverton is, so can't comment.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

According to this article, they were taken in Riverton, Wyoming.
Suz

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
According to this article, they were taken in Riverton, Wyoming.

Okay I think you win the title of the Research Guru of the WORLD! Simply amazing.

I thought the picture looked a little sandy........thought mexico as a possibility but WY was not in my list of possible choices.
IGO

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

3 different breeds of rattlesnake didn't come out of that one hole. I maintain that somebody dumped there rattlesnake collection on the dirt and snapped away.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 5/30/2008, 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There's a story that persists in WY of a huge ball of snakes uncoverd when the interstate highway was being built there.
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 6/13/2008, 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/WATCHBLOG/25601

Fake snakes bite Internet hikers
An Internet predator has put the bite on Arizona hikers with photos of a rattlesnake nest at Apache Lake.

The photos of a pit of writhing rattlers are graphic, disturbing and fake.

The same photos have slithered their way across the Internet and have been seen in Nevada, Utah and Colorado. They all come with a warning about where the rattlers are supposed to be, along with stern cautions about staying away. They virtually guarantee that some intrepid suburban adventurer will take the family out in the 4x4 to see the snakes.

The Apache Lake photos showed up on the computer screen of Becky Drew of Kearny.

“Here are those pics that I wanted to send you. Let your friends from work that are going up to the lake this weekend know about this and tell them that it was over by Turtle Island so they know not to go up there,” the accompanying warning said.

The five photos show the nest in a dirt bowl near a slope in desert terrain. The photos are shot from a distance and then get closer. There are enough snakes in the photo to make Indiana Jones queasy. It is hard to tell if the photo is real or if the snakes are digitally imposed.

But one thing's certain: These snakes are getting around.

The same photo duped a blogger near Reno, Nev., into posting directions to the supposed nest. The person who sent them later reported that the photos had been sent to her as a practical joke. Some joke. She said the photos were really from an unknown site in southern Colorado.

That was news to other Internet snake hunters, who said they were told the pictures came from Utah. Another said they were from Florence, Ariz.

And that brings us back to Apache Lake. No one questions there are rattlesnakes lurking in the desert scrub, under rocks and inside bolt holes. You need to take care when hiking, wear thick shoes and be attentive. If you hear the unmistakable sound of a rattle, back away slowly.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/13/2008, 1:31 pm    Post subject: snake story Reply to topic Reply with quote

To me it looks like a den of rattlers emerging on a warm spring day. Different types will den together during the cold months. They will emerge briefly as the weather warms and then retreat again at night from what I understand. This is NOT a mating thing, that happens in summer and typically between two snakes, not an orgy like this.

Some of the post from readers in the Repulic page were funny -
Quote:
It's the republican convention.

Quote:
It's actually a photo of a lawyers convention.

GTG
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/13/2008, 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

If you hear the unmistakable sound of a rattle, back away slowly.

Ok, I'm hosed.... Rolling Eyes

I heard what I thought was a bird making a retpetitive twittering sound. Those hiking with me said, "Did you hear that ?" I said "yea, wonder what kind of bird that is. I hear every so often when I'm out". They just stopped and looked at me. Said "No that's not a bird, we need to move on out of here, that's a rattlesnake". I just stood there dumbfounded. Shocked

All this time and it didn't sound like a rattle to me. I know now, at least I hope I remember and recognize it next time Or I'll be really hosed one day Embarassed
Geez Louise

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/13/2008, 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last time I received an email about those same photos it said they were taken on May 20 in Oracle AZ. Funny how those hills and snakes look exactly the same in all those different states!

Snopes hasn't yet picked it up, though.
Suz

PostPosted: 6/15/2008, 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

just got it again in my email this time it said Rancho Santa Fe Subdivision near Kingman, AZ.....nice!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/16/2008, 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There everywhere There everywhere Laughing

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: