ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Colorado---I've got the AZ Blues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 2/18/2008, 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

AFScout80 wrote:
Well now, my dear lady, a Woo-Woo is a delightfully fruity cocktail reserved for the most astute and distinguished of its partakers.

Good stuff on a nice moonlit night in the Canyon around a candle lantern!

I want to shine!
sbkelley

PostPosted: 2/18/2008, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah I'm not into the 14er thing so much, tried that once and you are definetely right about the crowds--it disgusted me.

Didn't used to be that way. When I started hiking/climbing them, I rarely saw folks up there - maybe 2 or 3 per day. But it's become quite the thing to do in CO now, and the easy day-access to them makes them a magnet for the masses. Plenty of room to get lost in Colorado, though.

Shoot, head north into Wyoming and you'll have plenty of room to wander without seeing a soul.
IGO

PostPosted: 2/18/2008, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sbkelley wrote:
I know it's far from the Springs, but check out the canyon country around Grand Junction. There's some spectacular Colorado Plateau canyons and scenery there. Grand Mesa, though higher up, has lots of room to get lost.

Closer to home, the Sangre de Cristo range from Salida south to the NM line has plenty of high, isolated valleys, lakes, and peaks. Up north, the Rawah and Zirkel wildernesses offer some great bushwhacking and I promise you won't run into anyone. Stay in the Front Range or anywhere near a 14er, though, and crowds appear.

Grand Junction is high on my list for spending my old days in.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 2/18/2008, 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ooh.. a Woo Woo does sound tasty.. hmm

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/19/2008, 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sbkelley wrote:

Stay in the Front Range or anywhere near a 14er, though, and crowds appear.

The Front Range is not entirely bad. I have found quite a few places with lots of solitude. Vasquez Peak was a great hike where I saw nobody all day long, on a Sunday. Squaretop Mtn starts at the same trailhead as the ever popular Bierstadt, but very few people head west from there. It was very busy at the parking lot, but very solitude from there.

AFScout80 wrote:

Hey Canyondweller, I see you are in Denver, let me know if you ever are looking for a partner on any wilderness adventures.

I would love to hike with somebody again. I have done very few hikes with other people since I moved here 4 years ago. Right now I am completey out of shape. I have not done a hike since October. It's been hard to get out since my son was born. I am hoping to be back at it by summer. That would be great if we can hook up for a hike. I live about 45 minutes from Co springs.
In your first post I thought you moved from co to az.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
AFScout80

PostPosted: 2/19/2008, 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I spent two years here 12 years ago, as my dad was military---spent the last 3 years in AZ---now I am back in CO. I've gotten out of shape too quite rapidly---I have four sons so I will blame it on them...haha, no it's my own dern fault--and my job requiring me to sit behind a computer for 8 hours straight. I'll find a way some how.
IGO

PostPosted: 5/11/2008, 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't find those pics. I want to do a hike in the Holy Cross wilderness this summer.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: