ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Grand Gulch via Collins Spring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
strawlady

PostPosted: 4/26/2008, 8:07 am    Post subject: Grand Gulch via Collins Spring Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi y'all - gee, you're probably hiking into the Paria Box right now. Wish I could do that, too! Anyway, I returned last weekend from a week-long trip in the Cedar Mesa area that I've been wanting to do for quite a while. I did everything in a low-clearance passenger car, too. Moki Dugway was no problem and actually fun. I did a three-night backpack in Grand Gulch via Collins Spring, then one night at Natural Bridges, then up to Goblin Valley State Park and into Horseshoe Canyon to see the Ghost Panel. That was hauntingly awesome and worth the 30 miles on a dirt road. Mostly, I wanted to report on Collins Spring, in case not too many have done that. This was 6 miles in on a dirt road that was okay for passenger car, but you had to keep your eyes open from slickrock patches. I glimpsed a couple people in 3.5 days, but the area was empty and quiet. The first part of the trail was pretty easy, but as you get into the Gulch, the willow gets thick and if you miss the trail, you've got some muddy river-walking or difficult bushwhacking to do with a big backpack. The first night, I camped at the confluence with the entry to the San Juan river - only about an hour in. There is some nice rock art in a side canyon in that area that the ranger clued me in to, but if you follow side trails, you'll find it. The second day, I did 14 miles up to Cow Tank, which involved really heavy hiking up and down river banks, trying to watch for the trail as it crossed the river many times, but also keeping an eye out for rock art and ruins. In that area, you have some amazing ruins, especially Bannister Ruin, Big Man Panel and many others with no names. There are side trails to them, if you keep your eyes out. I highly recommend getting a topo at the Kane Ranger station, if you don't have one, to help find things. It's like a treasure hunt. I left my backpack and tent at Cow Tank, then day-hiked up to Totem Pole on the third day and back, picked up my pack and took it back to Polly's Canyon, so I wouldn't have such a long hike out the next day. The two-story ruin at Step-Up Canyon was amazing (my camera went out of focus, so I gotta go back there) but Totem Pole is a rock formation and the willow is thick, so I think I would have rather gone only to Step-Up and then spent the extra time poking around side canyons. I did actually hike into Step Up Canyon a ways and found a cave, but the willow was really thick in there, so it was tough going. I know I missed some rock art and maybe a ruin or two, but it was actually fine to go in and out the same way, because I found things on my return that I had missed on the way in. Basically, it was incredible, but you have to work for each ruin you find - nothing is too close together, but when you do find them, it's worth all the work. I think my next trip, I would go in and out Bullet, hiking to Totem or Step-Up from that side and back. Then, there's a host of other less-known canyons in that area to explore. Natural Bridges is pretty amazing, with rock art and ruins, also. So, I'm hooked on that area! I don't have words to describe the awesome feeling you get standing below that Ghost Panel in Horseshoe Canyon. It's supposed to be about 8,000 years old and I think those folks had a peek into another world. My photos are posted at: http://picasaweb.google.com/strawladyhikes/GrandGulch
Hope you are all doing well and hiking happy!
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 4/27/2008, 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Carolyn,

Your trip sounded AMAZING! I'm headed to the Grand Gulch area myself this fall and now I'm even more excited after reading your write up. We're planning on heading in Bullet and out Kane. Southern Utah has become one of my favorite places also.

Can't wait now that I've read of your trip. Thanks for sharing!

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
strawlady

PostPosted: 4/27/2008, 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hi Trish,
Oh, have fun! My next trip, I want to go in Bullet also.
There's supposed to be less willow in that area and lots of ruins.
I'm totally hooked now.
Carolyn
PageRob

PostPosted: 4/27/2008, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow, sounds like you had an awesome trip. Great photos. Even though I just got back from Utah, I'm ready to head back up there again! Your photos from Horseshoe Canyon gave me goosebumps; we were just talking about that place on our hike today out of Hackberry.
mikehikes

PostPosted: 4/27/2008, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Carolyn.

Enjoyed your trip report. I've only done a couple trips in the Grand Gulch area but had a wonderful time with them.

I also remember seeing the story about your house. I knew Mats from SAHC many years ago.
IGO

PostPosted: 5/11/2008, 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Utah 95 lends itself as a gateway to the most amazing country and is one of my most favorites areas in the world. My stay will be short this time and I'm not hiking but 8 of us will be making the loop on motorcycles in a couple weeks.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: