ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Anyone familiar with the "Backside" brand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erock

PostPosted: 1/10/2008, 6:15 am    Post subject: Anyone familiar with the "Backside" brand? Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a friend who is a fellow hiker up in the Bay area that asked me about a tent and sleeping bag made by Backside (links below). I've never heard of this brand, was wondering if anyone on here was familiar with their gear and how it performs.

The Tent:
http://www.trailtents.com/site/1412894/product/20047

The Bag:
http://www.trailtents.com/site/1412894/page/924667
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 1/10/2008, 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nope, but browsing the site their brand tents seem pretty heavy for backpacking.
Acaiaca

PostPosted: 1/10/2008, 11:11 am    Post subject: Erock's Friend Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello,

This is Erock's friend from the SF Bay. Thanks RedRoxx44 for the feedback. I'm ramping up to get into backpacking and am in the limbo phase between purchase and research, as already came across about half the gear needed. Tent and sleeping bag are the big ticket items outstanding. Ideally I'd like to sleep 3-4 people in wet, windy and borderline freezing conditions. Usage would be about one weekend a month, year-round and I'd hope the tent and bags would last many years.

Can anyone suggest tents or sleeping bags that fit this criteria? Not necessarily concerned about raw cost, but rather bang for the buck.

Thank you,
Trent
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/10/2008, 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Erock's Friend Reply to topic Reply with quote

Acaiaca wrote:
Hello,

Ideally I'd like to sleep 3-4 people in wet, windy and borderline freezing conditions. Not necessarily concerned about raw cost, but rather bang for the buck.

Thank you,
Trent

That statement has these guys written all over it. When you go to Everest base camp, these are what you see. If thats too much $$, then the BA Seedhouse SL3 is a Fine Choice

what i do
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 1/11/2008, 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

SierraDesigns makes good stuff too. Plus many different 3 person options. This one is NicE

-Hunter S. Thompson
Acaiaca

PostPosted: 1/11/2008, 10:10 pm    Post subject: Appreciate the Suggestion Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. Figure after getting a few more backpacking notches on the belt, I'll step up to the ultalight Stephenson tent. Until then, found a clearance deal at REI for the Quarterdome 3. It's more of a 1-3 man tent, but seems like it'll do the trick for my needs. http://www.trailspace.com/gear/rei/quarter-dome-ul/. Configured it onto my pack then set it up in the living room tonight and am pleasantly surprised.

As far as bags are concerned, I chanced the Backside Xfiber +15. Found them online for a steal, so picked up two. I'll let you guys know how they turn out.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/12/2008, 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think youll be happy with the REI 1/4 Dome 3, The Half Dome and regular 1/4 Dome have been REI's bestselling tents for years. Must be some logic behind that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: