ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Backpack Purchasing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliverr99

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 3:12 pm    Post subject: Backpack Purchasing Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, I need a new backpack. I have been looking around, but I like to get some opinions on what works for you and why. I plan to do some 3 to 4 days of backpacking. I am 5'7" with broad shoulders for a woman, my torso is 18" long. Woman's packs seem to cut me in the neck. Anyways, any suggestions?
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anne,

I have the opposite problem as I am only 5'1" and really short torso. But I have a very tall, long torso'd friend with broad shoulders who swears by the GG Vapor trail. He says it's the best pack he ever bought and fits him perfectly. I think Mike in Ftn Hills likes this pack too so it might be worth a look.

I'm part of the munchkin backpackers so the Vapor trail doesn't fit me.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." ďż˝ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Granite Gear will let you swap hipbelts, shoulder straps and such for a custom fit. You could get womens belt on mens straps. Vapor Trail/Ki is a good pack, but Ive since withdrawn my vote on it as the side pockets are like spandex and I prefer something with a fair amount of tough mesh like the ULA Conduit

What women's packs have you tried on, and where did you get fitted? btw, Im mike in fountain hills. I tried to change my screenname back to that with no avail.

what i do
oliverr99

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I tried the REI Women's pack, it really cut me in the neck. The Gregory Jade, I think, again, same problem. I was looking at that GG Vapor Trail, due to the weight. Oh, I was fitted at REI and Hi Mike in Ftn. Hills, I'm Anne in Glendale.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Osprey makes great packs with lots of modification options. Everyone I know who has one has been happy with them. Check them out at Arizona Hiking Shack on north Cave Creek south of Thunderbird. If you are a member of Sierra Club or AOTC they have given discounts in the past when you ask for them. Puts their prices well in line with REI - even with the REI discount that you have to spend at REI.
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My girlfriend has a Osprey pack that she loves. The only problem is that the pack weighs 7 lbs by itself and is big enough to carry a pygmy hippo. I'm not really that familiar with Osprey to to reccomend a specific pack for you. I have a Aether 45 which I love, but it's hardly big enough for an overnighter. I use it mostly for hauling my climbing gear.
My girlfriend also has a Gregory Jade, which she also likes a lot. Have you tried the mens version? I think it is now called the Z55. I have one and it's my favorite pack.
I also have a Granite Gear (and a Dueter, and a Lowe Alpine, and a North Face, and a Camp) pack, but it is too big and uncomfortable. I really don't like the waist belt even though it seems to be an otherwise awesome pack. It is a GG Stratus Latitude. If you know a guy looking for a pack, I'm willing to sell it. It's only been used once.

I'm pretty sure this post was of no help whatsoever. Sorry.
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 1/1/2008, 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm 5'1 and really short waisted. I have a Lowe Alpine that a longer waisted friend gave me and it fits me great!
oliverr99

PostPosted: 1/2/2008, 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I forgot about Hiking Shack, I will go and check out what they have. It seems the type of backpacks are online, and I like to try it on before I buy it.
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 1/3/2008, 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

American_Idol wrote:
I prefer something with a fair amount of tough mesh like the ULA Conduit

You can not go wrong with ULA.

-Hunter S. Thompson
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 1/3/2008, 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have what appears to be the ULA Catalyst, although I don't remember it being called that when I bought it several years ago. No complaints at all, helped lighten the load a great deal.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/3/2008, 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

back then it was called the P-1
from a gear junkie's point of view (mine) I can see that in the short time Brian has been making packs for the real-world hikers, only since 1999, he has gathered up quite a few awards for titles like "best backpack" from some well known gear testers (Backpacker mag. for one)
GO look at reviews on the Conduit. Call Brain and tell him your needs. He's very personable and has spoken candidly to me on the phone on several occasions.

I'll be totally honest- I overlooked ULA for years because I thought the stuff was only made for thru-hikers or couldnt be any good if its made in some guy's garage. Ha! they are the best packs on the market, they actually bridge the gap between ultralight and durable. The big pack makers who crank out a dozen new models a year out of Vietnam just dont get it... ULA hasnt changed anything but the names and added a few newer designs. I like the stealth colors too. Call Brian and see if he has anything you can use. Maybe the Circuit is smaller than you need. The Conduit is a larger version, and the Catalyst is his largest pack.

what i do
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: