ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Looking to buy a solo tent
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have participated in a few wind events here in the state. It seems like they only happen when tents are involved!

Personally, I've decided that I will allow Tracy to purchase and test drive tents. I have found that her feedback has saved me a lot of money and heartache. Wink Keep those purchases and opinions coming!!!
IGO

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was never mean to anyone but I don't apologize about anything. Sometimes I get tired of having "Ultra-light" shoved in my face as if I haven't been hiking longer than some of the Ultralight croud is old and I'm not smart enough to know my choice in gear or why I buy it.....IMO.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hike your own hike .... includes sleeping in your own "comfort level" tent.

I wanted to post "Sleep in your own tent" but that just did not sound right ...may be it does Confused but just not convey what I want it to ....

So anyways each his own & I still want to see Matt/Mike's tent in action someday ....
desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
Hike your own hike .... includes sleeping in your own "comfort level" tent.
I wanted to post "Sleep in your own tent" but that just did not sound right ...may be it does Confused but just not convey what I want it to ....
So anyways each his own & I still want to see Matt/Mike's tent in action someday .... my experiences with ultralight tents so far have not been satisfactory.

BTW, I also own 2 tents the were not puchased at REI .... Wink

desertgirl

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
I was never mean to anyone but I don't apologize about anything. Sometimes I get tired of having "Ultra-light" shoved in my face as if I haven't been hiking longer than some of the Ultralight croud is old and I'm not smart enough to know my choice in gear or why I buy it.....IMO.

Now IGO why would that upset you if you did not care .... and you know your gear is right for you. Very Happy I usually hike with a relatively heavy pack, carry my camera & hike my hike which is way slower than most would care. Any yes I get regularly picked on on & off this site ....but so what. I have learned some from the "ultralighters" and I am glad for that ...but I make my own gear decisions...

To me light weight is an approach to carry more camera gear ! Its just if I can get my pack lighter then I can cram more camera gear Very Happy
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
American_Idol wrote:
American_Idol wrote:
Dont you think Ron at MLD knows how his >2 lb shelter is going to perform? I can guarantee on my mothers grave that it will shed rain wind and snow as well as a Quarterdome or Hubba Hubba.

I invite you to re-read this part of the post.

I invite you to look at this picture of the very Tarp Tent Paintninaz is talking about....

I dont know how I can be any more clear, but my link takes you to Mountain Laurel Designs, and the new tent offered there. I have no idea why you keep bringing up Henry Shire's Tarptent.
alas, a Tarptent Virga may not be the best choice in swirling wind, we can all agree on that. I think its because the front of the tent is not made for wind-assault. Something with a full vestibule that enclosed the tent all the way to the ground, such as the Lunar SOLO e (six moon) will obvioulsy shed wind from all sides, and IMO is a better shelter in that situation. My only point was that these shelters will protect from wind, rain and snow as well as a 5+ pound dome tent. I used a HubbaHubba as an example, not to say if you own one you made a wrong choice. Dont take my statements out of context, it is insulting to both you and me. I am not comparing your gear choices to mine either, simply saying that a sub 2 pound tent can and will fare just as well as a heavier counterpart. I dont really care what you carry. Really. Im sure you all made the choices you found wise at the time. For ME, I would certainly rather carry a Western Mountaineering over a Slumberjack. Thats ME. YMMV.

what i do
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was there and can vouch for Mike's home-made tarptent (not talking the brand here, just descriptive) that he made/sold to Matt as being BOMBER.
The winds were 35-40 mph all night and his shelter 'held' - I was amazed when I got up about 2AM to look around that it did, but it did.
I was in my Stephenson 2X, which I know can take winds over 40, so I had no worries.... BUT ... The thing about high winds and tents is the NOISE; just like rain and tents - it always seeems that it sounds worse than it is. I believe that, for me, it's the noise that inhibits sleep. Earplugs.....that's the ticket.

Also, MLD's new "SuperFly" tarptent (not the brand, just being descriptive) looks as if it will shed wind (and rain) pretty well.
See for yourself...

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
IGO

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

desertgirl wrote:
IGO wrote:

Now IGO why would that upset you if you did not care .... and you know your gear is right for you. Very Happy I usually hike with a relatively heavy pack, carry my camera & hike my hike which is way slower than most would care. Any yes I get regularly picked on on & off this site ....but so what. I have learned some from the "ultralighters" and I am glad for that ...but I make my own gear decisions...

To me light weight is an approach to carry more camera gear ! Its just if I can get my pack lighter then I can cram more camera gear Very Happy

Not upset at all. Just blunt. LOL.
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 11/15/2007, 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How much you want to bet I could throw a tent over them mountains...

-Hunter S. Thompson
KFarm

PostPosted: 11/16/2007, 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My Tarptent works great in all conditions, I only wish it was as light as the others and hiking with two trekking poles that are 40 feet long can be tough on you arms. Very Happy

John Wayne
IGO

PostPosted: 11/16/2007, 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Holy cheep chit batman!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Equipment & Gear All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: