ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Epic Hike Alert!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Wiz
PostPosted: 11/21/2003, 2:46 am    Post subject: Epic Hike Alert! Reply with quote

I see that a bunch of you are hiking from Peralta to First Water tomorrow. I just saw on the NOAA site that they are predicting 20-30 MPH winds tomorrow. This may not bother most of you, but if you wear contact lenses, have allergies, etc etc, then you need to know this and plan accordingly.

Have a great hike, everyone!

Wiz

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, I spent the weekend at Whiskey Springs, and the dreaded wind never materialized. (Insert "wind" joke here). Just can't trust those @#$% weather sites.

A leatherman is good for cactus too, especially the nasty deep-penetrating ones.
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

the dreaded wind never materialized

So, Hooli wasn't there?

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
Daryl

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I use a leatherman for cactus removal also. I keep it on my belt and I can get to it faster then I could dig up a comb.

The wind was gusting pretty good in Roger's Canyon. It was quite cold in the morning too!

I hear it's now looking like rain for the epic hike next weekend! More Epic!

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was expecting the weather to be more windy last Saturday so it was a relief that it wasn't what I imagined. We did have some good gusts every now and then along Boulder Canyon trail, the worse was Second Water when it kicked up dirt! UGH!! Felt like my face was sandblasted at times. I enjoyed the hike and am glad the weather forecasters were slightly wrong.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo all you Epic Hikers, are you welcoming the rain? Or dreading it??? It's going to be pretty cold for the overnighters. Trish is a newbie to overnights so I can't wait to hear how it all went!!!

I won't be doing this hike, I had decided this before I heard it may rain. (So NO "I'm melting" jokes! TOM!)

Have fun everyone!!! And if I can, I'll try to meet you afterwards for hot cocoa or something stronger to warm ya up!!
Wiz

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Really? There was gusty wind in boulder canyon Saturday? Very strange, it was almost dead calm on Whiskey Springs trail. The wind came up a little in the middle of the night Saturday, but pretty much died down in the morning. At first I thought it was going to rain, and I was thinking "wouldn't you know it, and I didn't bring my rain coat!".
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 11/24/2003, 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wiz wrote:
Really? There was gusty wind in boulder canyon Saturday? Very strange, it was almost dead calm on Whiskey Springs trail. The wind came up a little in the middle of the night Saturday, but pretty much died down in the morning. At first I thought it was going to rain, and I was thinking "wouldn't you know it, and I didn't bring my rain coat!".

The sky looked ominous with the dark clouds over the Superstitions, mainly Flatiron. I thought the same thing too, I didn't pack my raincoat. BUT it was beautiful by Canyon Lake, the sun came out. The wind didn't pick up til a bit later. It was a perfect hike even with the occasional wind gust. Refreshing at times when there wasn't dust with it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: