ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Night Life

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 8:03 pm    Post subject: Night Life Reply to topic Reply with quote

Being going out the past couple of nights and will again later tonight. Lots of wildlife out and about. Deer, javelina, fox, skunks ringtail cat, numerous rattlesnakes, moths, few bats and an owl. Also observed the shuttle and space station flyover.
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Where are good areas in Phoenix to do a night hike? It's going to be a full moon the night of my husband's B-Day. We don't want to drive more than 1/2 hour.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like the Supes, out of First Water TH. Not sure what's in your area but I'm sure someone will make a suggesting.
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 8/21/2007, 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in Scottsdale. I'm apprehensive to do a *city* hike b/c of safety reasons. Who knows what (or who) hangs out on those trails at night!
threedogz

PostPosted: 8/22/2007, 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have been out in the Supes (first water) at night,and 4 peaks enjoying the nightly scorpions and tarantulas, never had any problems.

I have been to North Mountain later at night when I used to live in N. Phoenix, it was more than 8 years ago, don't know how the night hiking is there lately. Lots of rattlers hang out (even at night) by the radio towers, but are mostly on the otherside of the fence. I ran into mostly fitness folks, not weirdos.
jdahling

PostPosted: 8/22/2007, 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've done South Mountain at night too (javelina trail) and didn't run into anyone other than other normal hikers. I know it's a city hike, but you might find you enjoy it. It's an easy little hike requiring very little planning.

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 8/22/2007, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

jdahling wrote:
I've done South Mountain at night too (javelina trail)

What?! Are you having fun without me? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Just kidding! Wink
jdahling

PostPosted: 8/22/2007, 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't cry Matt - if you were EVER Rolling Eyes home then you could come out and play as well! You are always welcome!

Cool

"Life is an adventure ... Made for an adventurer ..."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 8/22/2007, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azhiker96 wrote:
I like the Supes, out of First Water TH. Not sure what's in your area but I'm sure someone will make a suggesting.
Geo, you need to do the Ridgeline during a full moon! Outrageous! LMK.
I'm not really into the inner-city hikes, but there are two ruin sites on Shaw that are worth the time to check out and could be spectacular under a full!

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/22/2007, 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Another good night last night for wildlife. Also started at sunrise a road bike ride and observed deer, javelina and a bobcat while riding. Was planning on staying home tonight and sleeping in to 5am but one of our wildland crews came back and another is leaving at 3am, so I need to report at work at 3am instead of 7am.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: