ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Braving the crowds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
PageRob

PostPosted: 8/6/2007, 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Meeting people on trails can be fun, but I'd rather be on a trail with just some close friends or by myself, and see no one else. Then again, I get asked tons of questions all the time by random strangers when I'm hiking with my telemetry gear, so I may have a perspective different from others here.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 8/6/2007, 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like it all. I like to hike with friends. I like to hike solo. I like to hike cross country where there is no one. I like to hike on easy trails and hard trails. I like meeting people on the trail and chatting. I like hiking all day on a trail and not meeting a soul. It's all good. It's hiking!
IGO

PostPosted: 8/6/2007, 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: peoples on the trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

GringoDiablo wrote:
Kinda odd! I like seeing people on the trails. It's fun to chat, meet people from all aro Wink und the world. Share stories and adventures. Last hike met a father daughter team, the father went to the same Led Zepplin concert I went too in 1977. Wink

I like meeting people on the trail too...when I'm on a meeting people trail. Solo hikes in wilderness settings are spiritual though. I dig both.
If you remember a Led Zeplin concert in 1977 you did something wrong.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
FalconGTHO

PostPosted: 8/6/2007, 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, actually, I wasnt aware of that. I saw "Dont Bust The Crust" signage at various places in the National Parks I visited on my May vacation. With an explanation of the "cyanobacteria" on the signs.

As for the rest, the impression from the post was that you go "off trail" regardless of legality, but carefully and conscientiously nevertheless. Forgive my misunderstanding.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IGO

PostPosted: 8/6/2007, 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hmmm. I haven't come across signs like that in any of the parks but I guess it certainly would aply.
No, my intention is/was not to correct any misunderstanding, it was to answer your original inquiry with an important introduction to minimal impact/tread lightly. You did inquire. I guess I could have answered with a "No, it is not illegal to hike cross country in the vast majority of public lands".
I don't think you really mis-understood me. If everybody who ventured into these primitive public lands were as well versed as the people on this site then there would never be legislation restricting foot travel in any but the rarest occasions. I think it is important that no more people than a land can handle be regulated by permit but if the Forest Service closes 150,000 acres because idiots with little reguard burn them down, I'd leave my stove at home and march right on through. I care about mother and this planet about as much as it can be cared for.
Don't pay much mind Mr Falcon. There's a lot of passionate people in here. Welcome aboard. Razz
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Matt Hoffman

PostPosted: 8/6/2007, 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

FalconGTHO wrote:
Well, actually, I wasnt aware of that. I saw "Dont Bust The Crust" signage at various places in the National Parks I visited on my May vacation. With an explanation of the "cyanobacteria" on the signs.

As for the rest, the impression from the post was that you go "off trail" regardless of legality, but carefully and conscientiously nevertheless. Forgive my misunderstanding.

The signs you saw were probably warning you not to step on the cryptobiotic soil. http://eduscapes.com/nature/cryptsoil/index1.htm
It is a living organism and apparently it is important to the enviroment.

As others have said, it depends on where you are whether you can go off trail or not. Most wilderness areas permit off-trail travel. Even in the Grand Canyon, you can go off trail. But at South Mountain Park, you will see many signs forbidding off-trail hiking for "habitat rehabilation" or something like that. Hiking off-trail is certainly not illegal; just make sure you are allowed to do it in the area that you are in.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 8/7/2007, 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In Rocky Mtn National Park you have to stay on trail in desinated areas only. Most of the park you can roam freely where ever you want to.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
GringoDiablo

PostPosted: 8/7/2007, 11:11 am    Post subject: something wrong Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sorry for the cut in not sure how to answer IGO's reply: No that one was alright! It was a couple of years later in Germany had tickets to see them again. Got too drunk on the train and ended up at a holding station on the East German border! Evil or Very Mad
FalconGTHO

PostPosted: 8/7/2007, 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt Hoffman wrote:

The signs you saw were probably warning you not to step on the cryptobiotic soil. http://eduscapes.com/nature/cryptsoil/index1.htm
It is a living organism and apparently it is important to the enviroment.

As others have said, it depends on where you are whether you can go off trail or not. Most wilderness areas permit off-trail travel. Even in the Grand Canyon, you can go off trail. But at South Mountain Park, you will see many signs forbidding off-trail hiking for "habitat rehabilation" or something like that. Hiking off-trail is certainly not illegal; just make sure you are allowed to do it in the area that you are in.

Yep, thats it. And no, I thought "Stay On The Trail" wasnt just good advice, or a suggestion, but law. I need to make sure what I can and cant do next time I hike somewhere. Sounds like Im missing out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IGO

PostPosted: 8/7/2007, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: something wrong Reply to topic Reply with quote

GringoDiablo wrote:
Sorry for the cut in not sure how to answer IGO's reply: No that one was alright! It was a couple of years later in Germany had tickets to see them again. Got too drunk on the train and ended up at a holding station on the East German border! Evil or Very Mad

That's more like it! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: