ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
TR part 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 8/2/2007, 4:24 pm    Post subject: TR part 2 Reply to topic Reply with quote

Part 2
I was awakened several times throughout the night allowing me to gaze upward at a moonless, cloudless sky filled with points of light. The milky way was in it glory. It’s easy to see how Van Gough was inspired to paint his Starry Night and for a moment I thought I could hear the rocks crying out.

Dawn arrives and before long a blazing sun crests our mountains. We linger enjoying the warm sun and hot coffee. A hiker with a day pack suddenly appears in our camp. Somewhat startled we inquire “Where are you headed”? “I’m doing Roper’s Sierra High Route” came the reply. John had done that about four years ago and began comparing notes. I’m stunned by a tiny very thin and small pack (not even a hip belt!) and ask him how much his pack weighed. “17 lbs at the start…probably 13 now. I plan to complete it in 13 days.” Huh?!!! Just for reference, most people take between 4 and 5 weeks to complete that route. John did it in three and he’s an animal. He probably had a 40lb pack with a couple of food dumps. This guy was completing it in 13 days and the first to do it without re-supply. He was a Vegan and ate only dried fruit/veggies and some nuts and any edible leaves he found. (I felt guilty packing my thermarest chair, but only for about 30 seconds!) We wished him well and as suddenly as he appeared, he was gone.

We packed our gear and headed out. This would be a small mileage day, but a big effort day of route finding and climbing ridges. As we crested a ridge we were looking out on an endless expanse of granite…barren…harsh. Tucked into that was a green oasis called Bench Canyon. That is where we would head to enjoy the stream and shade providing fir and pine trees, and an abundance of solitude. We planned on spending two nights. After lounging around a bit we heard a voice and sure enough there was a guy and a gal looking for a camp across the stream. No problem…it’s a big area with plenty of room. The woman comes over and we say “We’re surprised to see you!” she says the same thing back at us. Then she said “We are actually leading a group of Outward Bound high schoolers (9 of them) on their solo trip.” It was a great spot to be away from it all to be sure. We decided to leave the area to them and move on the next day.

Hiking out the next morning was beautiful. The Minarets were shrouded in wispy clouds to the east and deep blue sky rose up from the gray granite to the west. More ridges to cross and fields of lupine, paint brush, tiny daisy like flowers among others. I was in sensory overload. We camped on a plain of lupine and stunted pine trees looking out upon a distant ridge of peaks. The color will forever be etched in my mind as a place of wonder.

The following morning we would pick up a trail and head to the base of Vogelsang Pass. We camped just off a peaceful meadow and steam to play in with the ever present mountains looking down upon us.

Over the pass and into the High Sierra Camp brought the smell of bacon, pancakes and coffee. I could get into this kind of camping as I moved past the tent cabins and cook tent. I expected to see a “Food sponsored by AZH” sticker on the tent! Very Happy

Back into Tuolumne Meadows and a burger of our own washed down with a Newcastle beer. YUM! Tired feet can now rest.

Another great trip completed and my heart captured afresh by this place called Yosemite.

I'm working on pictures.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/2/2007, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wonderful! Applause Thank you!

I want to shine!
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 8/2/2007, 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So far both posts sound wonderful, keep them coming.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Sponge

PostPosted: 8/2/2007, 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

WOW, I can't wait to get to Yosemite some day and see this for myself! Excellent trip report YH!

Oh, and that guy with the 17lb. pack is on another forum I frequent> backpackinglight.com. You can go there and see his gear list and plan...pretty insane Crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: