ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mt. Whitney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GringoDiablo

PostPosted: 7/11/2007, 7:47 pm    Post subject: Mt. Whitney Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been grinning at Whitney's peak since a teen. The mother of her flock. It's time to climb the old girl, anybody got some tales? I would like to tag the peak some time next year. I'm hoping to get my crew up there, anybody game?

GringoDiablo
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/11/2007, 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Checkout my report from last year:
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4956&highlight=whitney

As well as my day hike trip on it, 2 years before that one.
http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1936&highlight=whitney

I'll be doing it again in about month as part of the High Sierra Trail. Absolutely LOVE that area, hope to make a trip there every year. Winter in the Canyon, Summer in the mountains.
LongStoryShort

PostPosted: 7/12/2007, 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Unless you're doing the mountaineer's route, it's a piece of cake, easy walk all the way up.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/12/2007, 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Piece of cake. We backpacked quite a ways last summer--about 4 days, then approached from the backside trail. Left the overnight packs at the saddle junction of trails, then to the peak. The hard part was hiking down the front side in a lot of snow, after having picked up the big packs again. Post holed it a few times, not fun with a big pack on. That was in early July. Someone from our group climbed it again a couple weeks later and the snow was pretty much all gone.

I live at 7,000 feet all the time and hike to 10,000 all the time, so altitude was not an issue. Some of the flatlanders felt kind of funny after we were on the summit for a couple hours, said they wanted to go down. Do a lot of peak bagging ahead of time for your training.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 7/12/2007, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:

I live at 7,000 feet all the time...

Are you sure your elevation does not fluxuate up and down day bay day? I mean you sure you dont step out of your home and it's suddenly 6,000 feet and the next day maybe 8,000 feet? Scared Amazed Crazy

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Cholla

PostPosted: 7/12/2007, 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:
azbackpackr wrote:

I live at 7,000 feet all the time...

Are you sure your elevation does not fluxuate up and down day bay day? I mean you sure you dont step out of your home and it's suddenly 6,000 feet and the next day maybe 8,000 feet? Scared Amazed Crazy

LOL and don't forget the barometric pressure. rofl
GringoDiablo

PostPosted: 7/12/2007, 8:54 pm    Post subject: Whitney Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I have considered the altitude change, I am a guilty flatlander dweller, Colorado River rat. I dangle my toes in the river every morning. It would probably be a good idea to hang a couple of days at a higher altitude before the accent, but this weekend I'll be in the zion Narrows with my crew playing in the Virgin Wink

GringoDiablo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: