ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
PV losing snake removal perk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/26/2007, 3:43 pm    Post subject: PV losing snake removal perk Reply to topic Reply with quote

From today's Arizona Republic -
http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/0626sr-pvfire0627snakes-ON.html

Quote:

For PV residents, no more snake-removal perk
Diana Balazs
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 26, 2007 01:46 PM

PARADISE VALLEY - One of the long-standing perks Paradise Valley residents have enjoyed as customers of the private Rural/Metro Fire Departmentis snake removals.

The town, known for its rural desert lifestyle, has its share of serpent sightings. Rural/Metro has averaged between 90 to 95 snake calls a year in Paradise Valley, said spokeswoman Alison Cooper.

If a serpent slithers into a town subscriber's yard and coils up someplace comfy, that resident can call Rural/Metro and have the snake removed for free, emergency or not.

Not any more.

The Phoenix Fire Department, which takes over fire and emergency medical service in the town Sunday, will respond to life-threatening emergencies involving snakes, bees and other intruders.

But they do not remove them in non-dangerous situations.

"If that snake is threatening you, if they're blocking your doorway, or they're threatening your pets, or they've bitten you, or any of those kinds of things, we're going to roll fire and police, and together we're going to take care of the snake and we're going to take care of the people," said Phoenix Deputy Chief Kevin Kalkbrenner.

But what if the snake is not threatening?

Paradise Valley Police Chief John Wintersteen said residents should call the Police Department's non-emergency number at (480) 948-7410, not 911, to report the problem. The town has a list of government agencies and non-profit groups that will respond to wildlife calls.

They include the Phoenix Herpetological Society for snakes and other reptiles at www.phoenixherp.com or (602) 550-1090. Residents will have to pay a $75 fee, which is tax deductible and used by the non-profit society to help provide gasoline stipends for its volunteers and food, medication and other needs for the wildlife it cares for at its north Scottsdale sanctuary, said Russ Johnson, society president.

Paradise Valley Mayor Ed Winkler said the town will monitor and determine how big a need there is for this kind of service.

"I think the best thing to do is sit back and let this run for a while and we will see how we do. I think we'll be just fine with this new process. But you never know until you give it some time, especially this time of year because they (snakes) have a tendency to come out from under the rocks," Winkler said.

I'd remove snakes for a few beers possibly.

GTG
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/26/2007, 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: PV losing snake removal perk Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/0626sr-pvfire0627snakes-ON.html

Quote:

Diana Balazs
The Arizona Republic

PARADISE VALLEY - One of the long-standing perks Paradise Valley residents have enjoyed as customers of the private Rural/Metro Fire Departmentis snake removals.

The town, known for its rural desert lifestyle, has its share of serpent sightings. Rural/Metro has averaged between 90 to 95 snake calls a year in Paradise Valley, said spokeswoman Alison Cooper.

If a serpent slithers into a town subscriber's yard and coils up someplace comfy, that resident can call Rural/Metro and have the snake removed for free, emergency or not.

Not any more.

The Phoenix Fire Department, which takes over fire and emergency medical service in the town Sunday, will respond to life-threatening emergencies involving snakes, bees and other intruders.

"If that snake is threatening you, if they're blocking your doorway, or they're threatening your pets, or they've bitten you, or any of those kinds of things, we're going to roll fire and police, and together we're going to take care of the snake and we're going to take care of the people," said Phoenix Deputy Chief Kevin Kalkbrenner.

Paradise Valley Police Chief John Wintersteen said residents should call the Police Department's non-emergency number at (480) 948-7410, not 911, to report the problem. The town has a list of government agencies and non-profit groups that will respond to wildlife calls.

They include the Phoenix Herpetological Society for snakes and other reptiles at www.phoenixherp.com or (602) 550-1090. Residents will have to pay a $75 fee, which is tax deductible and used by the non-profit society to help provide gasoline stipends for its volunteers and food, medication and other needs for the wildlife it cares for at its north Scottsdale sanctuary, said Russ Johnson, society president.

Paradise Valley Mayor Ed Winkler said the town will monitor and determine how big a need there is for this kind of service.

"I think the best thing to do is sit back and let this run for a while and we will see how we do. I think we'll be just fine with this new process. But you never know until you give it some time, especially this time of year because they (snakes) have a tendency to come out from under the rocks," Winkler said.

GTG

You gonna down the beers before or after you remove the snakes? Razz Maybe we can talk Richie Rich's vet into giving you the rattlesnake vaccine......works on dogs.....don't see why it wouldn't also work on a goatboy! Snake Goat Probably get you a package discount.....rattlesnake vaccine, wormed and fixed all for one low price! ROFLMAO
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/26/2007, 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The beers would be for afterwards. You've got room at your place for my new catch and release program don't you?

GTG
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/26/2007, 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
The beers would be for afterwards. You've got room at your place for my new catch and release program don't you?

GTG

Not sure I could catch you......not sure I'd want to! Razz
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 6/26/2007, 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We still do reptiles and other critters. Once removed a skunk from a house, delivered a goat and a horse and babysitted an elephant.
sacred_datura

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll take some snakes off their hands!
YH
Hooli Wants to be just like me!

PostPosted: 6/28/2007, 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: PV losing snake removal perk Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
GTG wrote:

Quote:

Diana Balazs
The Arizona Republic

Not any more.

GTG

You gonna down the beers before or after you remove the snakes? Razz Maybe we can talk Richie Rich's vet into giving you the rattlesnake vaccine......works on dogs.....don't see why it wouldn't also work on a goatboy! Snake Goat Probably get you a package discount.....rattlesnake vaccine, wormed and fixed all for one low price! ROFLMAO

How did I miss this??? Too funny!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: