ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Backyard Camping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 9:24 am    Post subject: Backyard Camping Reply to topic Reply with quote

This past weekend, 11 9-year-old Jr. Girl Scouts showed up in my back yard for a campout. For many, it was their first time camping, so we wanted to make it as stress-free for them as possible. While the parents started organizing,...

the girls found "other" activities!

After setting up camp, we fired up the grill and cooked dinner, followed by a car-caravan to a nearby creek for an evening hike in the woods. A small group went ahead of the others so that they could practice their "trail-signs" skills. No one got lost, so they did an outstanding job!

Along the trail, they came upon a giant sycamore which made a GREAT place to hide and surprise the rest of the group.

To make the hike more interesting, I had planted a cache at the turnaround point and gave the group clues as to how to find it. Sure enough, it was spotted right away! (and retrieved with only minor contact with the abundant poison ivy!)

By the time we got back to the starting point, the sun had gone down. Just enough time for a quick group picture and then they were off to our campsite for stories around the campfire, singing and, of course, S'Mores!!!
threedogz

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like they had a blast. I like the group shot!

What a beautiful back yard you have. Thats the thing I miss from back east, is the large yards. I'm heading out there at the end of the week, hopefully it will be nice weather.
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

No.... No.... that was as close to "Hooli" camping as you can get without a Hoolimobile. Not right.

You need to take them out to where the bears are, and the bats, and the snakes, and whatever else makes them squirm. Twisted Evil

Nice yard though. Bet that grass grows nice and tall, and in short time I'm sure. Sometimes I miss a nice big grassy, tree filled yard... NOT!
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Man does this entire scenario of girls camping in the yard look familiar!
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HIG wrote:
No.... No.... that was as close to "Hooli" camping as you can get without a Hoolimobile. Not right.

You need to take them out to where the bears are, and the bats, and the snakes, and whatever else makes them squirm. Twisted Evil

Nice yard though. Bet that grass grows nice and tall, and in short time I'm sure. Sometimes I miss a nice big grassy, tree filled yard... NOT!

You're right HIG... it WAS almost like Hooli-camping!! (But we actually slept in tents and went hiking! Very Happy) One of the mother's said that it was like Bed & Breakfast camping!

I think that most of the girls would be OK with camping in a wilderness setting now that they've actually slept outside and walked in a woods. But the parents... now there's the tricky part!!

As for the yard... after Spring clean-up, it only takes a couple of hours every week or 2 (depending on rainfall) to cut and weed-whack.
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

After seeing a picture of you and your crew Stan, I'll bet it DOES!!!! I was a little concerned going into it that some of the girls might not make it through the night, but they were all real troopers. Never heard so much giggling before!!!!
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thesuperstitions wrote:
HIG wrote:

You're right HIG... it WAS almost like Hooli-camping!! (But we actually slept in tents and went hiking! Very Happy) One of the mother's said that it was like Bed & Breakfast camping!
I think that most of the girls would be OK with camping in a wilderness setting now that they've actually slept outside and walked in a woods. But the parents... now there's the tricky part!!

As for the yard... after Spring clean-up, it only takes a couple of hours every week or 2 (depending on rainfall) to cut and weed-whack.

Hey! I sleep in a tent and go hiking! I enjoy roughing it! Mr. Green

When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

thesuperstitions wrote:
Never heard so much giggling before!!!!

You've obviously never camped next to Colin, TJ, Tony and Bill sharing a tent! ROFLMAO

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
threedogz

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like Hoolies tent, it has good curb appeal. What kind is it?
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

threedogz wrote:
I like Hoolies tent, it has good curb appeal. What kind is it?

It's made in England by Outlander Trading Innovations, Ltd. I got it from Amazon.com as one of their Gold Box specials for, I think, $49. Others have asked about it and I've done all sorts of searches for it and can't find a thing. I was amazed at the quality when I got it....all the seams taped.....tub type bottom. Sorry I don't have any more info.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It looks like it even has separate rooms. One for a stinky Hooli, and one for a very relieved Richie Rich.

Ya gotta love those Limeys.
evenstar

PostPosted: 6/18/2007, 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HIG wrote:
It looks like it even has separate rooms. One for a stinky Hooli, and one for a very relieved Richie Rich.

Ya gotta love those Limeys.

Nope, just one big four person tent; it's the one the Dweebs, and their friends used at the anniversaty shindig. Very Happy
IGO

PostPosted: 6/26/2007, 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like a wonderful asortment of goof balls. I bet they are still telling storys.
I hated camping at 9 years old.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: