ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Henry Mountains

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
PageRob

PostPosted: 5/27/2007, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Henry Mountains Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not quite a hike, but I think its pretty interesting. Its a photo of the Henry Mountains (probably Mt. Hillers) that I took one sunset from the Paria Plateau apx. 105 miles away, line-of-sight. More info is in the description I've written in the link below.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/56284313/
IGO

PostPosted: 5/27/2007, 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've witnessed distant peaks in the SW from over 100 miles out on numerous occasions. Most notably would be the San Fransico Peaks from the East in Winter and, you guessed it, the Henrys but from the NW.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
PageRob

PostPosted: 5/27/2007, 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You can often see Navajo Mtn. from the pass on 89 between Sunset Crater and SF Peaks, but that's only about 80 miles or so. On the Wasatch Plateau I could, on a clear day, sometimes see the tips of the Henries.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 5/28/2007, 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We have been driving the stretch on 89 from Flag to Cameron several times a week since we set up business in Cameron in 1966. We depend on whether we can see Navajo Mountain or not to decide on how much gunk (dust or smoke or presents from China) is in the air. The view from 64 coming back down from the canyon is better but it is closer too.

I know nothing about the Henry mtns other than their location and their name. mp
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 5/28/2007, 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

But Rob, why do you think 105 miles is close to tops? I'm sure I have often seen more than 150 miles. I have used a ruler on the map. From the top of Humphreys Peak it is often easy to see Mt. Baldy, over 150. From Escudilla one can sometime see the Rincons and Catalinas, over 150. And with air quality never that good any more compared to when I was a kid in the 60's, I'm sure you could see 200 miles easily from mtn. top to mtn. top back then.

This winter in Yuma I could see the 10,000+ Sierra San Pedro Martir in Baja from the Gila Mtns. Not sure how far that is. Also the Lagunas in San Diego County.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 5/28/2007, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Anyone know what the temps are like in the Henry's during the summer?

Kerouac
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 5/28/2007, 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was just there. Lower down was pretty warm, as it is mostly desert, higher elevation nice mild temps, but summit trails area above tree line, so expect to barbeque if no clouds. I was hoping to see some of the buffalo herd but no luck. Lots of deer and turkeys tho.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 5/28/2007, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice shot Rob. That is what I like about Navajo mtn. It is a visual landmark that one can see from so far and from so many directions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: