ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Nine days in heaven...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Day two dawns at the edge of the Esplanade. We all stretch and slowly get out of our sleeping bags and wander around our surroundings soaking it all in. Waking up in the Canyon is one of the best feelings in the world! Specially if you are up high and can see every thing around you. Soon coffee was on and breakfast was being made. Breakfast around the "dinning room table" was leisurely and the guys all had their eyes on the rat birds and there were sounds of gun shot ringing out through out camp each time one showed up! I am sure that if the sounds had been real rather than those made verbally by the guys there would be few ravens left in the Canyon at this time!

After breakfast we all scattered and got dressed and packed and ready for the days hike. Just before we took off every one gathered over by the cache of water and food that was left and made sure it was spread out and covered properly so no further mishaps would happen. The rat birds had had a good snack but we wanted the rest waiting for us when we came back eight days later! By the way Todd and I had put our food in a rectangular cookie tin and it had not been disturbed. There didn't seem to be any peck marks on it either so perhaps it just wasn't found....

So we were off down the Bill Hall Trail headed to Surprise Valley. From the top we could see where our trail was. This was going to be a grand adventure! On the climb down, Stan and Tom got ahead. The trail was loose and steep but fun all the same ( my opinion). Tom and Stan landed in the valley before Tracy, Todd and I. Once down at the bottom of the incline we all gathered together again and headed off across the valley. It was warm but still early so tolerable.

The sight of Thunder River was an amazing one! Just the beginning of the wonders we would see this week! It being one of the smallest rivers in the world shoots right out of the wall of the canyon then cascades down covering the wall in a million little places. The main area is huge then it branches out all over the wall of the canyon. Every where you look from our vantage point across the canyon you could see another little area where the water was falling! What a joy! It was here that our senses of hearing seemed to start to dull with the white noise all around us. What? The fences won't hold the bull?!? Where did you park the submarine?!

As you get closer to the falls there is an area just across from the falls that is flat and you can stand there and watch the falls for hours from there if you want. The best part about that spot is the mist that blows over you as you stand there! The climb down got us all toasty so this mist was very pleasant!

We all found a spot near the falls to drop our packs and played in the water for a while. Some started lunch right away. We took a million pictures and Tracy and I played in the water some more. As we were sitting on the rocks talking and playing in the water Stan rushed over and immediately stepped in the river with his left foot. The look on his face read trouble. He was not a happy camper! He had spilled the water he had been boiling for his lunch on his foot.

Stan had not worn his normal back packing boots this week and instead had worn something less substantial since we were gonna be in and out of the water. Being more mesh than leather these boots had allowed the water to run right through and the blisters that formed are actually in the shape of the mesh part of his boots. He had decided not to take the boot off until we got to camp. So we all finished making lunch then wandered around and took some more pictures of our glorious surroundings then pumped some nice cold water into our bladders and loaded back up and took off toward Tapeats Creek.

The hike was more ups and downs and more boulders and more loose stuff.....We hiked along the water most of the time with river crossings to cool us from time to time. Soon we came to the confluence of the river and Tapeats Creek. I recognized it right away as Todd has a picture of it in his office. That site and so many of the rest are forever etched on my mind! We turned here and began to follow the creek to a place that was perfect to call home for the next three days. We had planned two nights there but as it would turn out we stayed for three nights giving Stan's foot a chance to start the healing process and become a little more stable before moving on.

The pictures show what Stan's foot looked like so I will not try and explain it. The blisters were flat when he first took his boot off but the longer he sat there the more they filled up. Soon they were full and tight. We all gathered together ON the "dinning room table" and pooled our recourses and had come up with enough dressing supplies to get him through the next couple of days. Over the next couple of days Stan would do a lot of thinking and pondering and praying and would decide he didn't want to hike out. He wanted to stay on trail and complete the trip. The rest of us offered to support him in any way we could be it hiking him out or helping him with his wounds and stuff if he decided to stay. I know it was a tough decision and I know it was mostly a selfless decision when he decided to stay. He in no way wanted to ruin the "trip of a life time" for all involved. He would hike from camp to camp and not do the side trips planned, Instead he would stay in camp and nurse his foot and keep it clean and dressed.

I have to say that through the week we ran into multiple rafters from different rafting companies and they were all overwhelmingly wonderful! They offered supplies for Stan's dressings and offered beer that they didn't have! One gave us a secret stash which we will discuss later in the report. The river rafters that we ran into were wonderful! If ever you run into one on a trail give them a hearty warm welcome!

Back to the camp site..... It was perfect! We had a large over hang that provided lots of shade. We had running water (and continued white noise). What!?! You said the submarine is submerged!?" We had trees for laundry lines and hanging packs from. There were little lizards every where you looked. There were also the ever present "rat birds" in the sky which the guys continued to pick out of the air with their make believe oozies and what ever powerful weapon they could pull out of their imaginations!

After a couple hours of play and discussion we all had dinner ON the "dinning room table" and began to settle in for the night.

Day is done. Gone the sun.

I want to shine!
Kristyn

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You all look like you had an awesome time. Wish I could have been there!
Richie Rich
Hooli's Da Man!

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
What? The fences won't hold the bull?!? Where did you park the submarine?!

What!?! You said the submarine is submerged!?"

Faatha..... I think Diane's been hitting the cooking sherry again drink up
Hnak

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So the rat birds got my orange jug, eh? I'll have to go check my water stash on the Tanner, me thinks... Did they also puncture the 4 liter Dromedary bag I sent down with Todd?

Dang, I wish I coulda gone...
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You guys are all just too cool! Laughing Your pics are all just fantastic. Sounds like a great trek and the weather looked just about perfect.
As usual kurthzone, you are one tough dude!
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 12:32 pm    Post subject: Blister Boy Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hikngrl wrote:
The pictures show what Stan's foot looked like so I will not try and explain it. The blisters were flat when he first took his boot off but the longer he sat there the more they filled up. Soon they were full and tight. We all gathered together ON the "dinning room table" and pooled our recourses and had come up with enough dressing supplies to get him through the next couple of days. Over the next couple of days Stan would do a lot of thinking and pondering and praying and would decide he didn't want to hike out. He wanted to stay on trail and complete the trip. The rest of us offered to support him in any way we could be it hiking him out or helping him with his wounds and stuff if he decided to stay. I know it was a tough decision and I know it was mostly a selfless decision when he decided to stay. He in no way wanted to ruin the "trip of a life time" for all involved. He would hike from camp to camp and not do the side trips planned, Instead he would stay in camp and nurse his foot and keep it clean and dressed.

I'm going to submit my trip report here in a couple of days. It will entail my thoughts and reflections on what when on within me during this trek as result of having severly burned my foot on the second day of an arduous hike. A quick update: The day after returning the valley I received attention from the Maricopa County Burn Center ER. They are deep 2nd degree burns. I have been back once and scheduled for next tuesday. Not sure how long it will take to heal but I think it's going to be a while. I can tell you this: it hurts a lot. I have to dress it twice daily, which is what I was doing in the canyon, but all the skin over the burn has been removed and washing it like they prescribed at the Burn Center is very painful. I'd rather suffer the pain than the Percocette though.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 12:43 pm    Post subject: Tough Guy Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sande J wrote:
You guys are all just too cool! Laughing Your pics are all just fantastic. Sounds like a great trek and the weather looked just about perfect.
As usual kurthzone, you are one tough dude!

Maybe calamity ridden depending on how you look at it. I do make a nice backpacking pizza with a little help from my friends that involves using two pots. Whoops, I'll let Diane finish her report. It's funny, after the incident every time I lit my stove all eyes would be right on me. Made me a little nervous.
Cynhikr

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Great story so far... keep it coming!

I would offer that while the the Ratsack CONTENTS were comsumed, at least partially, by some ravens, that the actual demolition was done by packrats or maybe something even larger (fox/coyote). I have had my Ratsack totally dIsToRtEd by raiding packrats, although the buggers thankfully never broke through. I'm just glad (for the animal kingdom at large) that it wasn't Tom's HOOCH they got....I'd pity THAT critter........... Bang hunter

BTW - Did you see a (not so) wild turkey either @ Deer Creek camp or the Throne Room?

"I wonder what ole' Ben would've thought of the TSA and photo-radar?" -- cynhikr
Tommy

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh Stan!! Those blisters photos in the Gallery Crazy my sincere condolences. Out here on the AT, the feet issues have been my biggest stumbling block---but nothing like those buggers. As Sande J said, you are one tough dude. Sounds like an amazing trip though.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pictures looks like a really neat trip... Waiting on day 3. So far sounds pretty interesting. Poor Hnak and Stan. Hnak to have to leave and Stan having war injuries. Noticed a knee wrap too! But you all looked like you had fun despite whatever trials and tribulations you had to put up with.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
IGO

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I love your reports. I'm hanging on the edge looking for the next installment about Stans foot. I'm already hurting for him so badly.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm ready already--sitting on the edge of my chair. Stan's burns make me sad though. Ibuprofen if you do not like the meaner meds?

We have successfully left water there at the edge of the esplanade by fully burying it and covering the burial with big flat rocks. If the ravens witness you doing anything they will investigate as soon as you leave so be sneaky. mp
IGO

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I haven't seen a report from Tracy in a while. I forgot what a great photographer she is.
I'm just enjoying this ride all the way around.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tommy wrote:
Oh Stan!! Those blisters photos in the Gallery Crazy my sincere condolences. Out here on the AT, the feet issues have been my biggest stumbling block---but nothing like those buggers. As Sande J said, you are one tough dude. Sounds like an amazing trip though.

Hey Tommy thanks for the kind thought. I must say though I truly enjoyed the trip and I think if you asked any of the group if I enjoyed myself they wouldn't hesitate to say I did. It truly was the trip of my life and as you may see in my report forthcoming. Also looking forward to your AT report.

wanderingsoul wrote:
Pictures looks like a really neat trip... Waiting on day 3. So far sounds pretty interesting. Poor Hnak and Stan. Hnak to have to leave and Stan having war injuries. Noticed a knee wrap too! But you all looked like you had fun despite whatever trials and tribulations you had to put up with.

Michelle if you take a look at that picture where we are looking down at the River where Tapeats runs into it, that is where we descended, a rather steep one. Toward the bottom on a flat rock where I decided to stop and take in some of the scenery there was some small scree that I apparently thought wasn't there and fell on my butt. It was not a bad fall but my right knee was fully bent and the heel touched the butt. Easy for the more limber but slightly strained my knee.

IGO wrote:
I love your reports. I'm hanging on the edge looking for the next installment about Stans foot. I'm already hurting for him so badly.

It's coming Robert. Thanks for taking on some of the pain.

maryphyl wrote:
I'm ready already--sitting on the edge of my chair. Stan's burns make me sad though. Ibuprofen if you do not like the meaner meds?

Thanks Mary, I'm doing 600 milligrams of Ibuprofen in the morning and 600 in the evening. I think it does well enough.
PageRob

PostPosted: 5/24/2007, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any one of this party park out at Monument Point last week? License plate: AZHIKRS? Nissian Frontier? I saw this vehicle whilst I was tracking some birds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: