ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
April 2007 GHOTM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
(0) (17)
User
User
GTG
Hikngrl
paintninaz
evenstar
wanderingsoul
wrongway
Tom Treks
kurthzone
strawlady
oliverr99
srlatty
Hnak
jmzblond
hikingsunshine
Davis2001R6
azhiker96
CatValet
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
GTG
PostPosted: 3/19/2007, 3:18 pm    Post subject: April 2007 GHOTM Reply with quote

The April 2007 Group Hike Of The Month will be Parsons Trail on Saturday April, 21st at 9:30 AM
We'll plan on meeting at the Deer Valley Center (101 and 27th Ave) Starbucks at 7:00 AM to carpool from there. We will wait until 7:15 for stragglers before leaving.

We plan on starting the hike around 9:30 AM at the trail.

It's an easy 7 - 7.5 mile out and back along Sycamore Creek. There may be a few water crossings that should be easy and dry with interspersed shade and optional swimming along the way and at the turn around point.

There's a decent description over on HAZ -
http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=86
Here's directions to the trail from HAZ -
Quote:
Directions to trail: From I-17 take 260 west out of Camp Verde and head on over to Cottonwood. Turn left onto 89A and follow through Old Town Cottonwood on the slow 25mph Main St. Continue on to the Tuzigoot National Monument turn off going right. Soon after turning you cross a good size bridge. Take the first left after the bridge onto Sycamore Canyon Road. After 1.4 miles the pavement ends and your rolling across a washboard hard packed dirt road. At 4.6 miles you cross the Coconino National Forest boundary. The sign at the boundary reads 6 miles to Sycamore Canyon. (It's really only 5.6 miles more as the trailhead is just before the road the dips into the canyon.) From here on the road is called FS 131 not that it really matters. The road is smooth hard packed dirt. There is one creek crossing at about 8.1 miles but nothing to even get worried about. After the 9 mile mark the road gets rougher to the trailhead. The total distance from the turn after bridge is about 10.2 miles.

We'll plan on stopping at La Fonda for Mexican food on the way back for dinner. It's on the road between Cottonwood and I-17.
Get in here y'all!

GTG

outside1

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It looks like you guys are going to have a great turn out; I wish I could join in. Sad I am “On Call” and just can’t take the chance of not being available if needed. So have fun you all!
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG, considering the time it takes to get coffee at Starbuck's tomorrow a.m., what time do you figure we'll actually be on the road and reach the bridge to pick up Strawlady? I also imagine we'll make our ususal "Rest Stop" before we turn off I-17 and Carolyn, I can call you from there to give you a better idea on our pickup time at the bridge.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
As of right now Jen and Emma will be joining me on the trip as well. Anything I should tell Jen about the hike?
But don't agree with Hooli

Yeah, tell her it's gonna be warm and sunny! Razz Maybe Emma will let you share her doghouse Sat. night! Rolling Eyes
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

General information: I believe that gas sells for 5 to 10 cents a gal cheaper in Cottonwood than here in the valley. You might wanna keep a lookout on the way up to spot the cheapest and hit it on the return trip.
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
GTG, considering the time it takes to get coffee at Starbuck's tomorrow a.m., what time do you figure we'll actually be on the road and reach the bridge to pick up Strawlady? I also imagine we'll make our ususal "Rest Stop" before we turn off I-17 and Carolyn, I can call you from there to give you a better idea on our pickup time at the bridge.

We're leaving the Deer Valley Center at 7:30. I expect that we'll be in her vicinity in 2 hours or less. Yep, I figure on making at least one rest stop on the way, maybe two.

GTG
jmzblond
J Me

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dave has a gig tomorrow night a little earlier than usual. He might not be able to stick around after the hike. If he has to leave early and not have dinner, do you think I could find a ride home w/ anyone?????? I'd hate to miss Mexican food.

"The romantic lifestyle of goats leaves a lot of time for digesting books" Charlotte La Chevre, (taken from "Conversations With A Goat" by Robert Shekter)
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm sure we can deal with it, Jaime.
evenstar

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
evenstar wrote:

We're leaving the Deer Valley Center at 7:30. I expect that we'll be in her vicinity in 2 hours or less. Yep, I figure on making at least one rest stop on the way, maybe two.

GTG

Just talked to Strawlady and she does have cell service at the campground. Told her I'd call when we left I-17 onto 260 and it'd likely be closer to 9:00 rather than 8:00 before we picked her up.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This looks like another big Turnout.... Looking good, even if it rains. I'm looking forward to it.
Sorry Tony, I almost had to bail myself, but worked things out. Whew!!
See all in the morning.

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not coming after all--my daughter is in the hospital and i don't want to be gone--mp
srlatty

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Looks like we are going to make it after all. We will meet up with you guys at the Starbucks between 7 and 7:15. We are gonna have to take off after the hike also. Grandma and Grandpa are gonna watch Annie and they have dinner plans tomorrow night. So we gotta high tail it out of there afterwards. See you all in the morning.
oliverr99

PostPosted: 4/20/2007, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So should I plan to get wet in the creek from crossing it? I have never been there before. I know it is suppose to rain tonight, early tomorrow morning. But I was curious about the creek crossing? Thanks!!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/21/2007, 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

So is every one bailing or are we still hiking? If everyone is bailing does anyone still want to meet for breakfast? Wildflower Bread company makes a mean breakfast and it is right next door to the Starbucks we are scheduled to meet at......

I want to shine!
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 4/21/2007, 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, I am gonna go get ready! See you all at Starbucks!

I want to shine!
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 4/21/2007, 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm planning on getting ready too. Rain now doesn't mean rain in two hours or rain 70 miles away. I still haven't had a rain out for one of my GHOTM and we still may not today. I'm planning on meeting at Starbucks by 7:30 AM and we'll figure it out from there.

If the general consensus say hiking = no, then we can all go to breakfast.
Most of you have my cell phone number so you can call me or PM me.
See y'all there!

GTG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: