ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Tim Davis(or anyone else)! Mt Ranier called!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
markv

PostPosted: 2/28/2007, 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I did Rainier with RMI a few years ago. Here's my trip report, or email me if you have questions.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/198362/message/1062704053/8-03

If you're in great shape, there's no need to have experience on smaller peaks first. So long as you either go with a guided group -OR- follow the tracks, start at the same pre-dawn time as everyone else from Camp Muir, and be resigned to turning back with ANY possible sign of bad weather. This is assuming you know how to use crampons and an axe.

It's physically more difficult than Hood, but sticking to the main route, it's technically a lot easier than Hood.
sidhayes

PostPosted: 2/28/2007, 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mr. Markv is right. One can follow the tracks just fine of the many, many, other groups and he is also right on about turning back with any sign of bad weather. I turned back on two attempts because a single cloud appeared. When carrying only a light jacket and water, I had to have a genuine interest in what the sky in the next 5 hours might bring. I was successfull on the third attempt.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/28/2007, 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My main reason for going with RMI is for the first day's "school". Teaching the basics of self-arrest, crevasse rescue, rope work, that kind of thing. Then I can build on those skills on other planned mountains. Just hope for good weather and be in top shape is my plan!
sidhayes

PostPosted: 2/28/2007, 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The students in RMI seemed to be having a great time. All of them told me it was very worthwhile having taken the course.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 2/28/2007, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good to hear,

Can't say I'm complaining about not bringing a tent, sleeping pad, stove, cookset, fuel and only having to bring snacks and a lunch either.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/28/2007, 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Have heard good things about RMI..Wating to hear from you Tim to see how it goes...then I amy be looking them up!
markv

PostPosted: 3/2/2007, 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You could learn more by hiring a guide privately for a couple hours, at the same price. Not to say i didn't learn, but it's obvious their point is just to get you to the top and back...not to give you good background for doing things on your own later. They didn't mention a word about crevasse rescue, and the ropework was just basically how to follow the leader without getting tangled up. Almost all the time was spent on super basic cramponing, breathing, and self-arrest/team-arrest.

Definitely the one big plus is not having to bring a tent. When i did it, you still had to bring all the cook and meal stuff though...has that changed? If you go, bring ear plugs for the Camp Muir shoebox. Or a deck of cards or book if like me, you can't sleep.
sidhayes

PostPosted: 3/2/2007, 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Or...if you are going to climb "Cactus to Clouds" this spring, you will have more than enough conditioning to bypass Camp Muir, and do the thing in one day.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 3/2/2007, 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Maybe next year Sid, already signed up with RMI. Cactus to Clouds will depend on how much snow is up there in mid April.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/15/2007, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

1 Week and Counting!

Nothing like wearing this in Phoenix, wanted to take the dog for a walk like this, but Emma said she's not going out in public with me dressing like that.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 7/15/2007, 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Happy Good luck
sbkelley

PostPosted: 7/16/2007, 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice outfit, Tim!

Good luck next week and hope the weather holds for you
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/16/2007, 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sbkelley wrote:
Good luck next week and hope the weather holds for you

Yeah, thats my biggest concern, catching bad weather up there. Extended forecast is looking worse than it has lately.
sbkelley

PostPosted: 7/16/2007, 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, that really seems to dictate whether a climber can summit that peak or not. We'll be keeping our fingers crossed for you.

Also, I know there has been some concern about RMI possibly not taking folks all the way to Columbia Crest (the tallest summit on the crater rim): weather-permitting, are they going to take you there?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/16/2007, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'll just say they are going to have a hard time not taking us. That was a topic of conversation when we met up last week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: