ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
El Malpais National Monument, New Mexico

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/7/2007, 8:03 pm    Post subject: El Malpais National Monument, New Mexico Reply to topic Reply with quote

Today I drove to Albuquerque for my job. From Springerville the quickest way there is to go east on US 60 to Quemado NM, then north on 36, and northeast on 117 to I-40. This route takes you right through El Malpais National Monument. El Malpais means "the badlands" in Spanish. This is in reference to the lava flows. I guess lava isn't much good for grazing cattle or growing crops, hence the name.

I've posted some photos. I would have liked to hike closer to the arch, so that I could see sky underneath. This would have been difficult due to all the snow. I've done it before, isn't too hard without snow.

The pahoehoe lava was fun to see again. Pahoehoe is a Hawaiian word--refers to the smooth lava, as opposed to a'a, the rough type. It is only about 3,000 years old, according to the pamphlet.

Mt. Taylor is 11,301. It's one of the four sacred mountains that form the boundary of the traditional Navajo homeland. It's not on the reservation, though, and you can climb it without a permit.

It was a fun drive, but I hiked only about 1/4 mile or so.
Cholla

PostPosted: 2/7/2007, 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ah ha. Hiking on the job, eh! Wink Great photos.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks! Yup, had to get a little fresh air. It's not the first time I've gone hiking and gotten paid for it. Forgot to mention that a stretch of the CDT goes through here. Also there is a trailhead sign for the Acoma to Zuni Trail. On the map it shows that it connects with the CDT. But it does not show it going all the way from Acoma Pueblo to Zuni Pueblo, a distance of about 80 map miles in a straight line--I imagine this prehistoric trail is a lot longer than that, and I wonder how much of it still exists.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I stuck my nose in there one time on a cross the country drive I was doing ( I think Georgia to Wa state) and rambled to some lava tubes, about 25 or so years ago. Great country, meaning to return.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I keep meaning to get over there and spend some time. It's hot in summer, relative to the White Mtns., that is. Best in spring or fall. I drove through there in Sept. after monsoon--I have never seen so many roadside wildflowers!
Lizard

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I visited the area w/ my dad several years ago. No real hiking, just mucking about. There is a sandstone cliff along the road which is a wonderful spot for photography. About 1/3 of the pictures in Westcliffe's Along New Mexico's Continental Divide Trail seem to have been taken from that cliff.
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I assume you're talking about the Sandstone Bluffs Overlook? Several of the photos I posted were taken from there, including the tinajas. You can drive right to the place I'm talking about. I climbed around on the cliffs a bit.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice pictures Elizabeth !
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm starting to get the hang of my new camera.
Lizard

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

azbackpackr wrote:
I assume you're talking about the Sandstone Bluffs Overlook? Several of the photos I posted were taken from there, including the tinajas. You can drive right to the place I'm talking about. I climbed around on the cliffs a bit.

Yep, that's the place. I think I took photos of the exact same Tinaja. I'd post 'em but the photos were taken with a film camera, actually an Advantix/APS camera. Anyone remember those things? They seem to have gone the way of the Betamax.

On the same trip, I visited the Tent Rocks north of Albuquerque. Have you been there? It is one of the nicest single-day hikes I've done.

http://www.explorenm.com/hikes/TentRocks/
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I still have an advantix camera! But the color quality was never there. I got it because it was lightweight, for backpacking, and seemed fuss-free, but then I was never too happy with the results. And now I'm into digital like most other people.

I haven't been to the Tent Rocks, nor to the Petroglyph National Monument, also near Albuquerque.

By the way, my nickname used to be "Lizard" because my name is Elizabeth, and I used to be called "Liz" a lot, which I don't care for as much any more. But I still like the nickname "Lizard." Or alternatively: Elizabeth = A Lizard Bath.

I thought we had a lizard emoticon, but I guess we only have a snake. And of course, a goat!
PageRob

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, I love that area. Brings back memories of some rambling between there, Zuni, El Morro, Chaco, and ABQ I did back in '03 at various times during the summer. Beautiful area.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That was about when I was doing similar stuff, taking classes, etc. Went to Zuni one time, went to someone's house where they made us a sort of posole, plus the traditional bread they bake in those big outdoor ovens. Went to the Navajo Rez, took a sweat bath with some Navajo ladies, ate some of their food, too. Pretty fun and interesting.

I've been to Chaco, too, but not to Acoma.
PageRob

PostPosted: 2/8/2007, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think this summer, when we head out to Kansas to pick up my tractor, we're going to swing through Zuni, Acoma, Sandia, and Taos. We've only got 10 days to get out there, pick it up, and get back, so hopefully that's enough time to see 'em all and still get the job done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Out of State Hikes All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: