ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Williams Valley Cross Country Ski Area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/28/2007, 4:21 pm    Post subject: Williams Valley Cross Country Ski Area Reply to topic Reply with quote

This place takes the cake. It's near Alpine. I had heard that Myron the Mule Skinner had been out grooming the ski trails, and that they finally had plowed the road leading to the area. So I went. Good decision! Groomed trails are fun, but can be fast going down hills! I skied a couple of hours--didn't go on the harder loop, took the easier one because the snow was a little icy and very fast.

There were snowshoe tracks leading off into the woods here and there. They don't usually go on the groomed areas. I ordered some snowshoes from Campmor last week. Should be here soon!

Just look at the photos!
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/29/2007, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well how cool is that. I love that country but I don't go in winter. You have some good outdoor gear to enjoy it. You will have to let us know about the snowshoeing. Hear tell another storm is bearing down by tonight/tomorrow. I just ordered a second cord of wood this season and only used a bit more than half a cord last winter.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/29/2007, 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I can't say enough about learning to xc ski. I had wanted to do it ever since I was about 20, but just never made it happen until about 6 years ago. I even bought a book about it back then, still have the book! I'm so glad to have this opportunity now! I might move back to the desert sometime in the next few years, so it would be less convenient then. I wrote an article about it for one of the local rags, they told me today they will almost definitely use it! Yippee! I'll be a "published author!" Very Happy

For you, up on Mt. Lemmon, I'm told the best place to start is somewhere like Spencer campground road, or some other gated-off road that's not too steep--use a road, not a trail. Not sure if Summit Hut still rents skis out, though. You'd have to have a really good winter, like in Jan 1990. Remember that? It was awesome.
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/29/2007, 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is fun to get published in a magazine. Cool!

I have always wanted to cross country ski but never have done it. If I lived in snow country now, I would have skis and snowshoes. I don't think Summit hut does skis these days. There is probably some place that does but ski places in Tucson come and go.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/29/2007, 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Actually it's a local newspaper. I'm planning to submit a spring hiking article to the competition's quarterly outdoor magazine, also. We have two newspapers up here.

I can see why they wouldn't want to take up storage space for skis when there hasn't been much snow over the past few years! There are three or four places you can rent them in the White Mtns., though. Probably Flag as well, plus there is that Nordic ski place on the North Rim, if it's still in business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: