ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Climb/Rappel class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
tempe8

PostPosted: 10/7/2003, 11:50 pm    Post subject: Climb/Rappel class Reply to topic Reply with quote

At different times, people have posted questions about learning to rock climb / rappel. Well, the Arizona Mountaineering Club has its Fall class starting up next week. This is a great group of professionals to learn the proper (and safe) techniques from.

http://www.azmountaineeringclub.org/main/classes_b.html
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/8/2003, 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tempe8,

Just curious -- are you familiar with AMC ? Do they offer more sessions that this one later. I really want to take these classes but I have prior commitments that will not allow me to engage on Sats -- which pretty much defeats the purpose of the class series

Any info will be helpful
tempe8

PostPosted: 10/8/2003, 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, they only offer this class twice a year, spring and fall. They break it up into the "classroom" sessions which is on the weeknights and the field sessions which are on the weekends. The "classroom" sessions are a combination of lecture and hands on work, learning knots, equipment, techniques, rappel, prusiks, etc. The weekends are done in the outdoors at a climbing location where you can put practice your new skills...this is where it gets fun. The last weekend is the "graduation" climb. You go out with professional outing leaders who lead or set up a climb for you. They're all over central AZ at different climbing spots and you DO the real climbs which is really cool. Some of them are as simple as single pitch climbs you can do over a few times, others are multi pitch climbs with big rappels...it's a blast! I've taken both the "climbing" classes at the gyms and also the AMC one's...there's no comparison...this group is the best.
desertgirl

PostPosted: 10/8/2003, 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tempe8,

Thanks for the info....Looks like I will be looking into their spring classes . any idea of approximate time frame of Spring classes ?

This info should help me plan
tempe8

PostPosted: 10/8/2003, 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's either March or April, I forget. They'll have the next one posted after this one ends.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: