ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
IT'S SNOWING, IT'S SNOWING, IT'S SNOWING!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 7:05 am    Post subject: IT'S SNOWING, IT'S SNOWING, IT'S SNOWING!!! Reply to topic Reply with quote

IT'S SNOWING IN EAGAR! It must have just started a little while ago, because when I first got up and let my dogs outside it wasn't. So far we have about an inch of very wet snow on the ground. I was just getting ready to go for a short hike before work, and looked out and voila! It was all white! I ought to go for a short hike, anyway, just to enjoy it, but now it's getting later, I need to get ready for work.

Usually, but not always, when it snows an inch in Eagar, it means it has already snowed several inches up higher. I will probably hear at work during the course of the day how much it has snowed in Greer, Pinetop, Alpine and Hannagan. We are at 7,000, but Alpine and Greer are above 8,000. Usually they get more, not always, though!
Suz

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's it! I've gotta quit my day job!

Can't I get a job as a weather girl and report from different locations outside.........that would be cool...maybe I could just be the camera girl...........can I get a little help here....connections, connections?
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh how fun! As long as I don't have to live in it that is!

I want to shine!
Hnak

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm jealous..... Neutral It's just cold here... shivering
Nealz

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yup. About two inches of dry 'champagne' powder and still snowing in Alpine. I'm at 8,055' on the front porch. Not enough to break out the snowshoes yet. Trees sure do look all Currier and Ives though.

-Nealz
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well, it's lunchtime now and it hasn't let up. Now it's starting to stick a bit better as it has gotten a bit colder (brrr!). But the school buses are still running, and they haven't plowed, they are only dropping cinders in the roadway. I look out the windows here at work and sometimes it looks like we're inside of one of those glass dome snow knickknacks, and someone has just given us a good shake! I just heard 60 and 260 are both closed between here (Springerville/Eagar) and Pinetop/Show Low. Not sure if it's true, though. I'm glad I'm not out there on the highway!

I am pretty sure if you can get up here you'll be able to cross country ski or snow shoe tomorrow!

Nealz, still online?--how's Alpine doing?
Cameron

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 4:41 pm    Post subject: Shine Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, shine and stop wanting to!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Cameron

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 4:42 pm    Post subject: Snowing Reply to topic Reply with quote

OK, you got a plow blade for thet Blazer? Rolling Eyes
IGO

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's 37 in Vegas at 6PM and will be 25 tonight but no chance of snow here or up high, not anytime soon.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I heard Denver was looking at 5 to 6 inches of snow tonight.
PageRob

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It was 9 degrees this morning in at Jacob Lake. 9!!! Snow on the ground from last night's storm, maybe an inch. Snow on top of the Vermillion Cliffs too. Frigid frigid frigid all around. The thermometer in my work truck never went above freezing today. I've got my snowshoes stashed in my truck as good snow karma item...we'll see. Supposed to clear and heat up the rest of the week though...
thesuperstitions

PostPosted: 11/29/2006, 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I drove through a LOT of snow tonight (hardly any sticking) going through the Las Cruces and Alamogordo area. (I got to see the Superstitions from the plane this morning as I flew into Phoenix, and then waved to all of you as I headed to NM!!)
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/30/2006, 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It is 0 degrees on my front porch right now, 5 a.m. I would like to drive up and see if Pole Knoll has enough snow for cross country skiing, but I'm chicken. The roadways are likely to be pretty slick. Maybe I can get off work at 4 pm instead of 5, and go then. By then it should be pretty safe. This surfer girl is not too used to icy roads! It is always a lot colder the day after a storm. I'm not too afraid to ski when it's below zero, it's just the roads that scare me.

In my house this morning I had the gas furnace, pellet heater, wood fireplace, a space heater and electric baseboard heaters all going at the same time for about an hour, until it got pretty toasty. Then I turned everything off except one space heater and I'll keep the wood fire going. Much cheaper that way--I have a pile of wood the size of a 1960 Cadillac. The pellet heater has a thermostat, it's in the bedroom, set on low. So it goes on and off. It's pretty cheap to heat with pellets, too. It's a big old drafty house. We have half of it closed off, we are only living in part of it this winter.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 11/30/2006, 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Turned my heater on last night after I got the register covers put back on fianally! Not the ones I wanted but I couldn't find the ones I wanted so I had to settle for the standard white covers... but the heat is on and it feels good!

I want to shine!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 11/30/2006, 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Skis are in the Blazer, and I'll be leaving work an hour early. I called the Springerville Ranger station, they said I should have plenty to ski on at Pole Knoll or by Green's Peak, or over near Baldy. I will probably just go to Pole Knoll--it's closest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: