ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Loy Canyon / Secret Mtn water ?s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizard

PostPosted: 11/8/2006, 1:23 pm    Post subject: Loy Canyon / Secret Mtn water ?s Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm trying to get some info on this hike as I am planning an overnight on Secret Mountain. A falcon guidebook indicates there is a spring near Secret Cabin, and Sunhiker's photos on HAZ seem to confirm this. I have learned not to trust Falcon guidebooks so if anyone has info on the water situation for this hike it would be appreciated.
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 11/8/2006, 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd like to hear about this as well, I was looking at a SM overnighter awhile ago too

Kerouac
Nealz

PostPosted: 11/8/2006, 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Loy Canyon / Secret Mtn water ?s Reply to topic Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
A falcon guidebook indicates there is a spring near Secret Cabin.

Yup, it's there, right at the base of the final climb up to the rim and the stupendous views. Now, I haven't been up there in about 7 years, pre-drought, so my advice and legal disclaimer is to contact the Sedona Ranger District office and see if they have any recent data. Very pretty trip BTW. Although when I went, the trail through Loy Canyon followed a wash with fairly deep, loose sand that made backpacking a one step forward, two steps back experience. Take care.

-Nealz
gpsjoe

PostPosted: 11/8/2006, 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sun_Hiker and I were there in December 04 in the snow and there was water everywhere. We returned April 26, 2005 and it was mostly dry. However, right at the cabin there was a pool of fairly stagnant water. See

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2754726410074369104MSwxEO
and
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2387503950074369104qZptLR

I would say this water source is iffy and you should get whatever info the ranger has to offer.
Lizard

PostPosted: 11/9/2006, 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you very much Smile
"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success.”- Sir Ernest Shackleton, newspaper classified.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 11/9/2006, 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hey Neal--when did you move to Alpine? Mary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: