ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Barnhardt Trail 09.07.03

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck1

PostPosted: 9/14/2003, 9:50 pm    Post subject: Barnhardt Trail 09.07.03 Reply to topic Reply with quote

09.07.03 Barnhardt Hike

Everyone gathered at Calypso @ 7:15. Tony, Jen, Damian, Pat and I, and all our dogs, headed out for route 87. It was a pleasant drive, and we talked via the walkie talkies. After a brief stop at the rest stop, we watched a biker drink a beer, at 8:15 in the morning, we headed the last four miles to the turn off for the trailhead. It was an easy forest road drive to a trailhead with only 3 other vehicles. As we were preparing to head out, a couple returning to the trailhead from a backpacking trip entered the parking area. They said they'd had an awsome night out, and that the rain the previous night was wonderful. With high hopes that there may be some water flowing at the waterfalls, we headed up the trail. Having chosen this trail based on Fritzski's description, I knew to expect a constant ascent. Although he'd mentioned that it was beautiful, I was truely surprised at how gorgeous Barnhardt canyon appeared in the morning light. While we had a cloudless day, the trail was mostly shaded, and the temperature was in the 80s. We set a decent pace and continued our climb pretty much non-stop until we came to the spot Fritzski mentioned as ideal for photos. It's of course at this time that we discover that only one of us has remembered to bring a camera. So, with a slightly shorter photo break behind us, we continued up. Tony and I commented on how the trail was fantastic, in that you're punished for one switchback with steep uphill, but then given a reprive on the next switchback with more level ground. Our group seperated a bit, and utilized our new Motorola Talkabouts we picked up at Sam's Club. Now, Tony and I have been using Talkabouts for a number of years, paying more than $80 each for our first ones before an adventure race back east; we had not, however, used them on just a dayhike. We were surprised at how handy they were, as Pat and Jen opted for a slower pace; we were able to stay in contact, which was a nice feature. We took a short breather at the first waterfall, which aside from a few waterholes, was dry. We opted for some off trail hiking when we came to the next side canyon, hearing water falling back off in the distance. After a short scramble up a runoff, we came upon a wonderfully hidden alcove, with a waterfall flowing at a very small volume. We toyed with the idea of ascending the rock wall to the higher level of the canyon, which also appeared to have a fall of some sorts. We were intrigued at the idea of topping out on the ridge via this route, however the rock face was just exposed enough, and just wet enough, to make us reconsider and return to the trail. From here Jen and Pat opted to stay put, and Tony, Damian and I continued allong on our way to our destination for the day, Sandy Saddle. Shortly after crossing a small talus field, we rounded the bend and discovered a perfect backpacking camping area. It is here that we called it a day, and headed back downhill. As we descended, we thought we heard another party descending just behind us, however this group never caught up with us, and we never heard/saw them again. We continued down at a rather fast clip, stopping only once for a breather, at the same photo spot from the uphill. We did encounter a rather large, and a rather active tarantula. He didn't want to budge from the trail, and infact reversed course and headed straight toward us. After a bit of maneuvering, we were able to pass unharmed, and not having disturbed him to greatly. With about a half mile to go until reaching the trailhead, we passed another group ascending. They were a smaller party, only two couples. The only thing I (we) really noted was that one of the ladies didn't have much support, and perhaps might have needed it. Returning to the trailhead , we stopped our watches at 3 hours and 38 minutes total hiking time. By my Suunto, we ascended and descended about 1660 feet in elevation.

This was a wonderful hike. We enjoyed the beauty of the mountains and the secludedness of our hike. Great Hike!

"The Journey is the Destination"
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 9/15/2003, 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
one of the ladies didn't have much support

Since she had no visible means of support, being a good ambassador of Arizonahikers, did you offer her some Question
Nealz

PostPosted: 9/15/2003, 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice report ck1-

I hiked Barnhardt last late October and there was plenty of fall color from the Bigtooth maples and Arizona walnuts too. Very nice then as well. I'd like to go back.

I was reading an interesting blurb from the Forest Service a while back about the health of the Ponderosa pines at the top of the trail. The FS botanists believe that the relatively small population of pines is in decline as evidenced by the lack of any young trees. I didn't notice any either. Their theory is that if the trees aren't killed by fire, natural attrition will take the rest and the dominate or climax species will be a juniper/pinion mix.

Still it's a pretty hike and there are several great overnight spots that I'll have to get back to.

-Nealz
evenstar

PostPosted: 9/15/2003, 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That is a great hike; did it with the GTG and the usual suspects back in April(?) or maybe March. Think I'm gonna try and talk a group into doing a one or two night backpack there sometime spring.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
ck1

PostPosted: 9/15/2003, 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nealz, that's interesting about the pines. Sad, but interesting none the less

"The Journey is the Destination"
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 9/16/2003, 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Wow CK what a great discription! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time! Truely a hike to remember.... but aren't they all...

I want to shine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: