ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
1st Gila Monster Sighting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 8/16/2003, 11:04 am    Post subject: 1st Gila Monster Sighting Reply to topic Reply with quote

Earlier in the week I picked up the Maricopa County Parks Pass, as i am now close to the White Tanks. I hit the Waterfall trail after work yesterday real quick to see what the last rain brought. there was some flow but nothing to write home about. Then today I went out to do about 4-5 miles to start getting into some sorta shape. I went out on the Goat Camp trail and about 1/4 mile before the junction with the Willow Spring trail a Gila Monster scooted across the trail. He tried to hide in some some rocks but only his head was hidden. I stood there and watched and a few minutes later he popped out on top of a rock looked at me and went right back in the rocks. Once again not very hidden. I kept watching for a little while and then kept on going. That thing was pretty cool!! I didn't want to piss it off too much so I kept hiking, but it was a pretty decent size. Also he semed to be hissing at me or something, I don't know what the noise really was except that it sounding like hissing.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 8/16/2003, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

They have real good eye sight (and a lungs) and the hiss is a warning as I have noted they hiss when cattle are around. Did you note the color of the tonque and note their big feet.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 8/16/2003, 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool Dennis! I've been here all my life and only seen three of them in the wild and two of them were in the same spot together near The Fish Creek Bridge on the Apache Trail. The other was between Picket Post and Superior.

BTW it's a good thing that Hooli's out of town. He get's a little too excited when he hears Goat Camp and when Hooli gets excited we all suffer from rambling posts.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 8/16/2003, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw my first and only gila monster on the Boulder Canyon trail about halfway between the Second Water junction and Boulder Basin, about 3 & 1/2 years ago. Little bugger ran right under a bush and I couldn't get a good photo of him!
dennisbench

PostPosted: 8/17/2003, 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah I wish I had taken my camera with me. Its those hikes you go on unexpectedly and don't take your camera when you see those type of things. yeah the feet were big. It wa funny because he was hiding on his back under some rocks then actually came out and was out in the open just a few feet away, then turned his head, saw me and scrambled back under.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
ck1

PostPosted: 8/17/2003, 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've never seen one, my buddy Bill saw one on Camelbak a few years ago.

"The Journey is the Destination"
plummer150

PostPosted: 8/18/2003, 9:30 am    Post subject: re: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nice. No pic, too bad. Maybe next time eh?
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 8/19/2003, 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have seen one! He was way cool. He just kinda stood there and let us take pictures of him and them ambled over to a bush and went inside and stayed there for a while, while I stood there very still and quite and watched him watch me. It was fun!

There are pictures of him over on AZW on the home page and on the Peralta to Weevers Needle Crosscut trail thread. Way cool!

I want to shine!
srlatty

PostPosted: 8/30/2003, 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st Gila Monster Sighting Reply to topic Reply with quote

dennisbench wrote:
I didn't want to piss it off too much so I kept hiking......

This sounds like a good idea after reading this, http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0827gilamonster-bite-ON.html
I read this article and immediately thought of your post. It doesn't say, but I would bet anything he was bit on the hand! When we first moved out here, we took our daughter to the Phoenix Zoo. They had a couple of the people that work with the reptiles putting on a little "show and tell" with some of the snakes. One of the things I remember them saying was that more than 80% of the snake bite victims that come into Maricopa County hospitals have wounds on the hands or forearms. What does that tell you? I think you made a wise choice, just wish you had your camera with you.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 8/31/2003, 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've been lucky enough to see four of them! Two were at Papago Park, one at Usery Park, and the big daddy of all Gila Monsters that Kent and I saw at Aravaipa Canyon - he posted pics of that one on HAZ. I love them and think they're way cool.
Leva

PostPosted: 9/9/2003, 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw one once when I was a kid, down in the Patagonias. I have photographs somewhere ... it went across the road in front of the family jeep and we stopped and took pictures. Only time I've ever seen one.

Leva
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: