ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Humphreys Peak
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 7/10/2003, 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last time I did Humpheyes I had 3 liters of water, and it sustained me just fine.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/21/2003, 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Last Saturday when I hiked up Humphreys, I took 5 quarts, came back with about 2, so three would have been enough for me too. I guess I was thinking of my hike the week before where I ran out and had to refill. However that was a longer hike, and there were lakes, so I did ok. But then I'd rather have too much than not enough.... Hank
nasbond

PostPosted: 7/27/2003, 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Today I climbed O'Leary Peak. 9 miles round trip with a 1000 ft elevation gain. Drank 4.5 Lt of water. It took 6:55 hours. At epeakregister.com there is a list of 20/20. Twenty peak hikes and twenty canyon hikes. O'Leary is #20. It was done by the Arizona State University and Arizona Office of Tourism. Next trip on the 20/20 list is Mt Baldy some time in September. For me that will take two days, fourteen miles up a Mountain and back down is to much for one day. Besides if you are in the big of a hurry drive a car.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 8/23/2003, 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone done a trip report on the b-24 wreckage on Humphreys?
I have the gps info., but would like some more details. Aslo, if anyones done it, I'd be interested in your comments.
nasbond

PostPosted: 8/24/2003, 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any information that I would have is forty years old. Lots of things can change in forty years. It would be nice if some one would check it out and see if there is any thing left at the site. Although the story has been told over the years and at various times even in the newspaper (Arizona Daily Sun, Flagstaff). Is there any one else out there who is interested in this accident.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 8/25/2003, 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

i went there 2 years ago and its still increadible. i have posted it on Hikearizona.com
You can check it out there.

The best way to get there is to start out at the humphreys peak trailhead. go up about 3-5 switchbacks. get off the trail and head up the rocky slope to the top. then head up and north, you might miss it, its not reall easy to find. From the trailhead look up and you will see a small rocky section above the long rocky slope.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 8/25/2003, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dogs are becoming a big problem on Humphreys almost like the old days on Squaw Peak.

Too much summer hiker/runner traffic on the Humphreys trail compounded by man's best friend makes for an even bigger problem.

Not to mention all the people who don't keep them on leashes.

k9hiker wrote:
Has anyone done a trip report on the b-24 wreckage on Humphreys?
I have the gps info., but would like some more details. Aslo, if anyones done it, I'd be interested in your comments.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 8/26/2003, 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The college kids will be back in school soon and the traffic will decrease quickly. MP
k9hiker

PostPosted: 8/30/2003, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

it sounds to me like the hikers are becoming the problem on Humphrey's, I'm srue there are more of them than dogs! Confused
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 8/30/2003, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

k9hiker wrote:
it sounds to me like the hikers are becoming the problem on Humphrey's, I'm srue there are more of them than dogs! Confused

Problem I see is during busy weekends people crowd the narrow trail and with the dogs (often on the loose) its a bigger mess.

Not sure why many from the Phx area would take their dogs to extreme altitudes anyways with all the volcanic rock on Humphreys-suspect dogs suffer from altitude sickness as much or more than man? Any vets on here?
nasbond

PostPosted: 8/30/2003, 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I guess I am politicaly incorrect. I don't mind the crowds or the dogs. The few times we are out hiking at a popular location we expect crowds. Hiking on the week days makes the problem much less. That is the price of living in not so rural Arizona. There are still many locations where man or dog seldom go. the upper Bill Williams is one of those places. Plan on going there this late fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: