ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Pretty Nice Today.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/12/2006, 5:37 pm    Post subject: Pretty Nice Today..... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Got in 18 holes of golf on one of the short par 61 courses. (Shot a 79 which ain't bad considering how little I've bee able to play for the past three months)
On the 5th hole, a 353 yard par 4, I hit a nice drive down the left side of the fairway; as drove up in the hot rod Golf Car, noticed a coyote crossing in front of the green about 100 yards away; he headed for the lake that runs along the left side of the fairway, then along the edge of the lake and passed within 25-30 feet of me with a cottontail clutched in his mouth. Thought that was kinda cool. Waited 'til it was well past before hitting and going on.
Then, as I left the golf course, one of our resident Harris Hawks flew just over the golf car and landed in a palm about 15' over my head. I stopped and whistled at it and it turned and gave me a look! Again, very cool. We have at least a pair of Harris Hawks residing in SCW and I think they nest in a tree just off the 13th green of Grandview golf course where Suz and I will be playing Friday. I've seen them there several times and also sitting on the edge of Del Webb Memorial Hospital roof. Only raptors that live and hunt communally. Beautiful birds, kind of reddish brown and they have a broad band of white on the tips of their tail feathers. Very Happy With all the cottontail and quail aroud here, I'm sure they're in Hawk Heaven!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/12/2006, 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Not bad Hooligan. That's pretty respectable. I definitely want to hit the links again. Maybe I can coerce you to come out to the East coast sometime. There are a few nice courses out here.

I have one question though, after the dream, did you wake up in your bed, or on the carpet? Chuckle

Shades
IGO

PostPosted: 7/12/2006, 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pretty Nice Today..... Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
Got in 18 holes of golf on one of the short par 61 courses. (Shot a 79 which ain't bad considering how little I've bee able to play for the past three months)
On the 5th hole, a 353 yard par 4, I hit a nice drive down the left side of the fairway; as drove up in the hot rod Golf Car, noticed a coyote crossing in front of the green about 100 yards away; he headed for the lake that runs along the left side of the fairway, then along the edge of the lake and passed within 25-30 feet of me with a cottontail clutched in his mouth. Thought that was kinda cool. Waited 'til it was well past before hitting and going on.
Then, as I left the golf course, one of our resident Harris Hawks flew just over the golf car and landed in a palm about 15' over my head. I stopped and whistled at it and it turned and gave me a look! Again, very cool. We have at least a pair of Harris Hawks residing in SCW and I think they nest in a tree just off the 13th green of Grandview golf course where Suz and I will be playing Friday. I've seen them there several times and also sitting on the edge of Del Webb Memorial Hospital roof. Only raptors that live and hunt communally. Beautiful birds, kind of reddish brown and they have a broad band of white on the tips of their tail feathers. Very Happy With all the cottontail and quail aroud here, I'm sure they're in Hawk Heaven!

How this sounds like our Hooli. What a fine read.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/12/2006, 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

HIG wrote:
Not bad Hooligan. That's pretty respectable. I definitely want to hit the links again. Maybe I can coerce you to come out to the East coast sometime. There are a few nice courses out here.

I have one question though, after the dream, did you wake up in your bed, or on the carpet? Chuckle

Shades

I can get you on here for the summer rate of $15. and just about any a.m 'cept Tues. & Wed with five days notice, choice of three full length courses. Can the East Coast match that?

Next time I'll get you on Grandview and watch the 13th hole scare hell outta you! Razz
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I used to enjoy the Harris' Hawks in Tucson. I haven't noticed any in the White Mtns. although we have redtails, kestrels and some others. The Harris' seem to like urban areas.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We have a pair of Perigrine falcons who visit the building roof next door, think I posted a pic awhile back. They are not around lately but we saw one visit briefly a week or so ago. Must have been passing thru.
Suz

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Pretty Nice Today..... Reply to topic Reply with quote

evenstar wrote:
noticed a coyote crossing...with a cottontail clutched in his mouth.
Harris Hawks flew over

Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure not to wear my bunny suit!

You didn't tell me you were practicing....that's so illegal Embarassed I'm still trying to find my balls.
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pretty Nice Today..... Reply to topic Reply with quote

Suz wrote:
evenstar wrote:
noticed a coyote crossing...with a cottontail clutched in his mouth.
Harris Hawks flew over

Thanks for the warning, I'll be sure not to wear my bunny suit!

You didn't tell me you were practicing....that's so illegal Embarassed I'm still trying to find my balls.

Um....er.....ahem.....I've got some spare balls I can loan you Rolling Eyes
DesertDog

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shawn wrote:
We have a pair of Perigrine falcons who visit the building roof next door, think I posted a pic awhile back. They are not around lately but we saw one visit briefly a week or so ago. Must have been passing thru.

A decade or so ago, I worked building maintenance downtown at the Westward Ho, the hotel converted to HUD housing for seniors.

One afternoon I happened to glance into the swimming pool as I was passing by, and noticed an indiscernible object floating.

To my horror, upon retrieval, I found myself holding the head of a grebe (or merganser?), and spent the rest of the afternoon in shock, wondering which kindly-appearing oldster was in actuality a bird-decapitating pervert.

A couple of weeks later, I was sent up to the roof to service an evaporative cooler, and when I went out onto the roof area, it was littered with dozens of pigeon heads!

Now I was really freaked out, as NO ONE other than maintenance was supposed to have access to this area.

I went down one floor to what used to be a private club. All the way around the floor are picture windows with mirrored film.

I looked out one and saw a bigger-than-the-usual-pigeon bird on the ledge. With the can't-see-in film on the glass, I was able to get within inches of this bird.

Yep, there was the grebe mutilator.

Actually, a pair of Perigrines were roosting up there, using the Ho as a launch point to prey on the pigeons hanging out in the Circle K parking lot 16 floors below. It was quite the sight to watch these guy dive-bomb the unsuspecting dumpster doves, even though they would come up empty 2 out of 3 times.

I just wished they could have cleaned up after themselves..... irked
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/13/2006, 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I first saw these critters I thought I'd discovered something. Turns out they are well known around town and quite possibly are the same ones you saw. G & F are supposedly well aware of them. I saw them hauling squab up to the top of the building for lunch many times, and you are right, they don't clean up after themselves at all.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 7/16/2006, 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, but they do help get rid of those danged flying rats (pigeons)!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: