ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Fire North of Sedona
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefTIO

PostPosted: 6/22/2006, 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
Yep, 231 is the road to the fire tower. Looks like maybe the new line will be along the AB Young trail up to the tower then along 231.

I was thinking the same thing.

When my wife and I first met and started this whole “hiking thing” six years ago the first side canyons and trails we explored were all in this area. Everyday this week we have been watching this thing march through this canyon and changing what was our favorite spots to be at. We’re just hoping like________ it doesn’t hit West Fork.

A couple of weeks ago we were camping at Cave Springs, along the creek was fine, but it was scary how dry it was just a few yards away. We just hope the folks that are fighting this thing get a hold of it soon. Everywhere else I see that they are pretty much shutting down all Forests and Wildernesses in this state for awhile, probably for the best, that way when fall rolls around we have something else in this state for autumn colors besides black and gray.

T...
threedogz

PostPosted: 6/22/2006, 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This fire is really depressing me. My husband and I go up there every year to hike the West Fork Trail and stay at the Junipine Resort right on 89a. I have hiked it at least once a year for the last 10 years. We skipped it this year and hiked Bryce Canyon for something different, but were planning to go there during Christmas.

I can't believe this is happening. I feel really bad for the residents and businesses.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 6/22/2006, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is all too heartbreaking...West Fork and the canyon is our sanctuary. I feel for all the residents,businesses, forest creatures and all of us who love it so dearly. Crying or Very sad
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/22/2006, 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is very depressing. West Fork was the first GHOTHM that I came to when I joined and I was in awe when I hiked the Call of the Canyon, it was just so beautiful. I intended to hike more on the trails in that area and have never gotten to them. Now it looks like I'll be hiking them with a different look than you all have experienced. I wish it would rain some!! And hope they can stop it soon. 89A was just so pretty to drive through that I always took my visitors just on the drive to see it. Very Very sad Crying or Very sad

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
pyroman

PostPosted: 6/24/2006, 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm on this fire and the line along Sterling Canyon is holding pretty good. I'm a camp guy, so I can't speak from personal observations, but from everything I'm hearing, Oak Creek Canyon hasn't been hurt too hard since the fire is mostly backing down into the canyon from on top. The top of Wilson Mountain is another story I'm sure.

You can't say enough about the hard work the crews on the line have been doing. They are busting butt every shift, day and night, in some really knarly country. Its almost like they are inspired by the incredible beauty of the area. Of course, these men and women fight fires cause its what they love, but they do kick butt!!

http://www.sedonafire.org/brin.htm
ftp://ftp.nifc.gov/Incident_Specific_Data/GREAT_BASIN_E/Brins2006/
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/fire/brins-fire-6-2006/index.shtml
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/24/2006, 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Pyroman! I do have the utmost of respect for the people out there fighting the fight! God bless them all! Keep them safe!

I want to shine!
IGO

PostPosted: 6/24/2006, 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you muchly!
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
desertgirl

PostPosted: 6/24/2006, 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch pyroman! Agree Stay safe you all out there
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 6/25/2006, 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you so verymuch, Pyroman. Be safe and God Bless you and all your men out there for your dificult and brave work.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 6/25/2006, 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks you for the update Pyroman and thanks for the links too! We appreciate your efforts and those of your coworkers and pray that everybody stays safe.
jkern15674

PostPosted: 6/26/2006, 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ditto the above and let's here a shout out for Dick a good pal that's out there humping a chainsaw and a ton of gear on this fire, be safe and Godspeed.
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 6/26/2006, 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks to all the firemen and people working the fire. It is back breaking work. Everytime I see them on TV with all the heavy clothes & gear, having to haul it around in that heat and then actually digging and working I tell myself that the little backpacks I've done are nothing compared to this Embarassed

Thanks to you all, keep safe and we all appreciate your efforts Smile

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: