ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
It's just wrong.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertRoux

PostPosted: 6/18/2006, 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

BoyNhisDog wrote:

Billy, when I tell you that I'm thirsty. I don't want you to get me a drink of water. I want you to sympathize with my thirstedness. --Rosie Perez

Heheh, I for got about that line and the movie also. Nice one!
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 6/19/2006, 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

A lot of interesting discussion on this topic. Good stuff - and educational.

I noticed that a few people were complaining about it and wondering why it wasn't removed or locked or something.

I'm a moderator for this topic (probably because I don't do any actual hiking anymore - I just post stupid links that amuse me and annoy everyone else) and I'll put in my $0.02 as to why I haven't done anything about this particular topic.

One of the reasons this topic wasn't "Locked" or deleted is because, for the most part, the discussion is interesting and has remained civil. There have been a couple of sharp moments, but they have been worked out on the forum effectively. That is pretty par for the course. And this is far, FAR from the most heated discussion we've ever had here.

There have been a number of controversial topics (heck, I've started my share and fanned the flames in others) on this board, and they usually run their course - so long as people are at least giving the appearance of being respectful and civil.

And that's the great thing about this site: for the most part we police ourselves and manage our disagreements reasonably well. I, for one, sort of miss the more controversial topics even if they usually got me in a lot of trouble. A little heated debate will get the blood flowing just as well as any hike - and since I don't get to do that anymore, I take my exercise where I can get it...... Rolling Eyes

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
PageRob

PostPosted: 6/19/2006, 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I think we should make the border millitarized, with landmines and all, like the Berlin Wall...

And yet, people still managed to cross that...

The system doesn't work, but the problem I see is that there is no reasonable solution.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/19/2006, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's that whole "pursuit of happiness" thing, pretty strong pull regardless of where or when it is out there.
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 6/19/2006, 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Dang, promised myself I was going to butt out of this one . . . .
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 6/19/2006, 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, everybody settled down nicely. I was waiting for someone to recommend someone to take it to "PsycheArizona.com" like a poster initmated I should do on another board when I got off topic.

However I think he was right on on that one. Like this one, no easy answer and lots of opinions.
sidhayes

PostPosted: 6/19/2006, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are a lot of opinions but there is a answer and it been there for a long time. It is-ENFORCE the existing laws against illegal entry and hiring illegal aliens.! OR repeal these laws and have no borders and allow any and all to enter. After all, this is the real goal of Hispanic activists. I know what they are talking about, I read their Spanish newspapers such as La Prensa and La Voz. You want racism? Read these rags and see for yourself.
Al_HikesAZ

PostPosted: 6/19/2006, 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sidhayes wrote:
. . . the real goal of Hispanic activists. I know what they are talking about, I read their Spanish newspapers such as La Prensa and La Voz. You want racism? Read these rags and see for yourself.

The real goal of Hispanic activists - like MECHa?

Google MECHa. Or Empathize this - Google Border Patrol Agent Luis Santiago and Voz Fronteriza. Google UniondelBarrio.org
I couldn't make this up if I tried. Es verdad mis amigos!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,96371,00.html
PageRob

PostPosted: 6/20/2006, 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm curious how many forum members here are hispanic, or have hispanic family members (in-laws, adopted, etc.). Perhaps some of their views would be enlightening.
phrankster

PostPosted: 6/20/2006, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm hispanic and I've been following this for awhile. When it started I though OMG this is gonna get ugly, but it never really got to that point.
Anyway, I agree with alot of what has been discussed here.
While I agree that we don't want anyone dying while crossing the desert to get into the country, but I also don't think placing water out there is a good idea because that will encourage the behavior of illegally entering "our" country. Not to mention the possibilities of lawsuits because someone became ill from drinking the water if it becomes tainted or (as somebody mentioned) poisoned it.
Fortunately being born and raised here as were my parents, I/we havent had to experience the legalities of having to get a work permit or whatever it takes to enter the country legally.
I mean, is cheaper to pay a "coyote" to get you into the country than it is to go the legal route? That I don't know, but I would certainly hope so.
ok that was my .02
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Off-Trail Area All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: