ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Jack the cat chases black bear up tree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 6/10/2006, 12:36 pm    Post subject: Jack the cat chases black bear up tree Reply to topic Reply with quote

From today's Arizona Republic -
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CAT_SCARES_BEAR?SITE=AZPHG&SECTION=HOME

Quote:

Jun 10, 1:50 PM EDT

Jack the cat chases black bear up tree

Jack, a 15-pound orange-and-white cat, cat sits under a treed black bear in a backyard in West Milford, N.J., Sunday, June 4, 2006. When the bear climbed down, the cat chased it up another nearby tree. Neighbor Suzanne Giovanetti thought Jack was simply looking up at the bear, but soon realized the much larger animal was afraid of the hissing cat. The cat's owners called it away and the bear ran off. (AP Photo/Suzanne Giovanetti)

WEST MILFORD, N.J. (AP) -- A black bear picked the wrong yard for a jaunt, running into a territorial tabby who ran the furry beast up a tree - twice.

Jack, a 15-pound orange and white cat, keeps a close vigil on his property, often chasing small animals, but his owners and neighbors say his latest escapade was surprising.

"We used to joke, 'Jack's on duty,' never knowing he'd go after a bear," owner Donna Dickey told The Star-Ledger of Newark for Friday's editions.

Neighbor Suzanne Giovanetti first spotted Jack's accomplishment after her husband saw a bear climb a tree on the edge of their northern New Jersey property on Sunday. Giovanetti thought Jack was simply looking up at the bear, but soon realized the much larger animal was afraid of the hissing cat.

After about 15 minutes, the bear descended and tried to run away, but Jack chased it up another tree.

Dickey, who feared for her cat, then called Jack home and the bear scurried back to the woods.

"He doesn't want anybody in his yard," Dickey said.

Bear sightings are not unusual in West Milford, which experts consider one of the state's most bear-populated areas.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Reminds me of a cat and a bear I was familliar with in New Jersey.

GTG
cactuscat

PostPosted: 6/10/2006, 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That's great! lmfao

In case anyone doubted that cats rule the world.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 6/10/2006, 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

who says size doesnt matter?

what i do
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/11/2006, 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

My cat "Bubba" used to chase everything out of the yard. He was 16 pounds and I saw him swat a Racoon upside the head one night in a standoff for the lobster cast offs. The danged racoon had the lobster shell and well, I guess Bubba wanted it, so he just went up and demanded it. OMG this cat was the best cat I ever had, a Yankee cat named "Bubba". Thought he was a lap cat too at 16 pounds !

I can see Jake and BUBBA defending their territory!

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 6/11/2006, 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I have a dog named Bubba, a Blue Heeler. He'd probably bark at the bear, then get scared and hide!
Sande J
Calamity J

PostPosted: 6/11/2006, 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

More proof that cats totally rock..... Wink Wink Wink
Now if I can just get one to stay on the trail with me..... Chin Scratching
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 6/11/2006, 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sande J wrote:

Gotta have a cat with "attitude"........IE name him Bubba and he's sure to be a terror.

I saw a first while on See Canyon Trail last fall and that was a woman hiking with a CAT in a CATpack. This feline was very content to be in a mesh pack and poked his head out for pets every now and again. No way any respectable cat would have been doing that so name him Bubba and have him saying NO WAY JOSE and clawing his way out. Heck, mine was a terror just in the car carrier to the vet's. I think he bit the Vet. And shed about a pound of fur there too.

But this was the king of cats.....a 16 pound lap cat, watch cat, kill all the bad critters cat and a great footwarmer.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
cactuscat

PostPosted: 6/13/2006, 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I saw a cat happily riding on top of a backpack with some climbers at Joshua Tree once! That's a cool kitty.
IGO

PostPosted: 6/13/2006, 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trishness wrote:
Sande J wrote:

Gotta have a cat with "attitude"........IE name him Bubba and he's sure to be a terror.

I saw a first while on See Canyon Trail last fall and that was a woman hiking with a CAT in a CATpack. This feline was very content to be in a mesh pack and poked his head out for pets every now and again. No way any respectable cat would have been doing that so name him Bubba and have him saying NO WAY JOSE and clawing his way out. Heck, mine was a terror just in the car carrier to the vet's. I think he bit the Vet. And shed about a pound of fur there too.

But this was the king of cats.....a 16 pound lap cat, watch cat, kill all the bad critters cat and a great footwarmer.

Mr. Green

I had a cat named Taz. He was the best dog I ever had. Fetch. Go on walks and ride in the boat. I still miss him.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: