ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Grand Canyon Overnighter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
srlatty

PostPosted: 5/18/2003, 10:22 pm    Post subject: Grand Canyon Overnighter Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am contemplating an overnighter into the Canyon sometime in late October or early November. Most probably going down Kaibab trail to Bright Angel campground at Phantom Ranch and then back up the Bright Angel trail the next day. Just thought I would throw it out to see if anyone else would be interested. If you are, post here and we'll see where this goes!
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/12/2003, 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would suggest you reverse your hike--go down the Bright Angel and out the South Kaibab. The Bright Angel will be much easier on your knees and the South Kaibab is a lot shorter.

The rangers will suggest you do the hike the way you described and in hot weather when the water is turned on up at the top they are right. By Oct or Nov however the SK is the way to go out.
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/12/2003, 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kaibab is a few miles shorter, but the elevation change is basically the same. Thus, would you rather take the shorter steeper trail up or down? I prefer taking the shorter/steeper trail down, but that's my opinion and I'm sure many people would differ.
I'd also suggest, if you choose to start at kaibab, to spend the night at indian springs. It's closer to a half way point and you can usually refill your water bottles there. The hike down to phantom ranch can be done pretty easily in 3-4 hours. The hike out from phantom ranch will be double that.
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 7/31/2003, 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Think how much of the BA trail is relatively flat--the river trail part and going up Pipe Creek and then again at the top of the corkscrew and just after Indian Gardens. Except for the last half mile the BA is not much easier, just longer and the days are short in the fall.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/31/2003, 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here's a couple of things to consider. The park turns off the water to the rest stops about the 3rd or 4th week in October. It's cooler than now though and if you're used to desert hiking you probably carry plenty of water anyway. The temperature at the rim will be cold. You could have snow in November. At the river though the temps are more like Phoenix. I backpacked Grand Canyon on Thanksgiving about 3 years ago. We camped in the National forest nearby so we could get an early start. It got into the 20s that night. There was snow at the rim and extending down to about 1500 feet below the rim. At the river level though we were back to shorts and shirts. It only got into the 60s that night so we slept under the stars. Smile The main advantage to the South Kaibab is you avoid the hordes of tourists wandering down the Bright Angel trail. I like the SK for an entry into the canyon. The vistas are gorgeous.
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/31/2003, 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Bright Angel Trail Head is also 400 feet lower in elevation then the Kaibab, not that it makes much of a difference when you are coming up from Phantom Ranch. Thus starting at Kaibab you have 400 more feet of down hill and 400 less of up hill.

If it's a one nighter and I'm planning on staying at Phantom Ranch, I'd probably start at Bright Angel because it's closer to a half way point.
If I'm staying at Indian Springs, doing the loop over 2 nights, or day hiking, I'd rather start at Kaibab.

Which ever route you choose, you'll have a blast and the scenery is amazing. Start before sunrise so you can catch the sunrise in all it's glory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: