ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mt Humphreys this Sat at 8am
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
sam_hikes
PostPosted: 6/18/2003, 6:56 am    Post subject: Mt Humphreys this Sat at 8am Reply with quote

Not much new on this...

Please chime in if your going to make the trip.

sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/23/2003, 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Canyon Dweller wrote:

Yes Humphrey peak is quite crowded on the weekends, but if you go midweek you'll only pass about 10-20 people. Unlike Piestewe peak being busy any day of the week.

I've heard Humphreys peak can be extremely busy and it was my 1st time hiking to the Peak on a weekend but I was on the mtn from 810am until about 130pm on Sat and didn't think it was too busy.

B/4 Sat I've always hiked to the 12,633 ft point at off times where you see very few people.

Of course it's a popular hike because where else can you escape Phx's 110 degree temps and hike to 12k+ without getting hot with under a 3hr drive.

Maybe Canyon Dweller or others can chime in on the less busy trails where you can still bag the peak Very Happy
Daryl

PostPosted: 6/23/2003, 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm still thinking about a mid July attempt if anyone is interested. Maybe July 19-20th. We'd be driving up Saturday morning, doing a short hike (maybe red mountain), car camping, then do Humphies Peak on Sunday morning.

I'd be looking at a very early start time, like 6 or 7 am since you don't want to be up too high when a monsoon rolls in.
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 6/23/2003, 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

anyone know if you can car camp near the trailhead?

Entire area is NF including snowbowl ski area and I didn't see any signs reagarding camping.

Would be a better start than camping at 7200+ ft since your goal is 12,600+ and 5K gain is even alot for 1 day especially if you live in Phx.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 6/28/2003, 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl,
That date sounds good to me. All this talk about doing the trip wiht everyone, i was getting jazzed, but then found out I couldn't make the date, I was bummed. I decided I would just plan to head up there in July sometime and that was the weekend I was thinking about. Please keep me and the rest who might be interested informed.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: