ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
packing suds
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/7/2006, 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

OMG, I was there when Tim brought in all that beer AND a couple CANS of soup! He was still smiling too! I fully understand WHY he wouldn't share his beer! You've come a long ways Tim! Mary
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/7/2006, 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

That story of the beer and cans of Campbells Chunky Soup is LEGEND in these parts. Wasn't that a Reavis Ranch trip in 2003?

As for me, I fill a Platypus with some Pinot Grigio and I'm set!

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 1/7/2006, 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Trish you have tried the Penfolds wines of Australia? good Cab/Shiraz and such.
Also the Ecco Pinot Grigio or Noir is nice for the price.
Im gonna have to start hang'n out with you!
or I'll spot you one of my fresh pressed lime and Cazadores Margarita

what i do
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/7/2006, 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike...one of my favs is the Ecco Pinot Grigio.......another one to consider is one I found at Sprouts called Donna Christina <very good> and I love the Australian Shiraz and cabs. I usually buy the Rosemount and they are very dry and aromatic with a hint of berries. Of course the best I've had this past year was the St Supery Cabernet Sauvignon but it's around $25 a bottle. Crisp and clean with lots of berries! GREAT stuff! Just add some apples, brie and home made bread and I'm in heaven.

If you like French reds try a wonderful wine called Chateauneuf du Pape......vanilla, cinnamon and red fruit undertones. 13 different grapes go into making this wine and it's aged 5-20 years. Most excellent with red or game meat and coq au vin. This is a very hearty red wine and very good.

Mr. Green

"Eastward the dawn rose, ridge behind ridge into the morning, and vanished out of eyesight into guess; it was no more than a glimmer blending with the hem of the sky, but it spoke to them, out of the memory and old tales, of the high and distant mountains." � J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of The Rings.
paintninaz

PostPosted: 1/7/2006, 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Shihiyea wrote:
OMG, I was there when Tim brought in all that beer AND a couple CANS of soup! He was still smiling too! I fully understand WHY he wouldn't share his beer! You've come a long ways Tim! Mary

He wouldn't share???? Mary, I think you must've gone to bed too early. I had one of those beers! I remember because there was a choice...they had a variety of kinds! Shocked

Rocky got the benefits of the CANS of soup though b/c neither Tim nor Rob wanted to carry those back out! Chuckle

Yep, Tim's come a LONG way in his backpacking trips!! Very Happy

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
IGO

PostPosted: 1/7/2006, 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

and what kind of joke did he think it was when you were crosseyed at camp crackin' that 4th bucket. HAhhaha
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/7/2006, 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Heh....I can see Rocky now licking those cans (and I wasn't even there) but Rocko does love the human food and "Elk Duds".

Laughing

IGO

PostPosted: 1/7/2006, 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There are bottles of Chateauneuf du Pape in cellars over 150 years old.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
Trishness
The Snake Charmer

PostPosted: 1/7/2006, 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

IGO wrote:
There are bottles of Chateauneuf du Pape in cellars over 150 years old.

WHERE? Don't you think they might be rancid by now?

Wines are supposed to be aged within certain years. Or so I thought.

Very Happy

IGO

PostPosted: 1/7/2006, 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Negative. What would make big high tannin red just priming out at 20 years go over bad in say 30 or 40. Nothing. Spanish reds have been pulled out of shipwrecks still consumable…and that’s with no air at the corks. I have 2 1974 Robert Mondavi Reserve Cabernet Sauvignons that are going at $300 a crack at auction this year and they are going up. 1974 is probably the most prized vintage in American viniculture, at least for heavy reds prime to decant right now.
Baron Philip De Rothschild has nearly ancient Chateau bottlings in those cellars; I’d imagine some hundreds of years old.
Beaujolais are light and fruity. The Beaujolais Nuevo are respectable only weeks after the pressing and are no good by the next spring but are an absolute delight with light pork. Not bad in a hammock either.
Some really rich whites, Far Niente Chardonnay or better, Puligny Montrechet will do great in upwards of 10 years though most really dry chardonnays will come around in 4 or 5 years and are actually very nice served at just under room temperature if you’ve ever tried that. Some of the frost harvest German whites can go over bad in a couple weeks if not cared for properly but they drink like deserts anyway.
I used to be really up on this stuff but I now find myself really having to think hard to get even subtle facts straight as it’s been a dozen years sense I’ve had even a cold beer but I did so love a fine cab. I still have a collection of 11 bottles. Sebastiani Eagle 80 and 81. Opus 1 from the first bottlings. Chateau Mouton and Lafitte Rothschild. The Lafitte is a ’63. I don’t even remember what all I have as they are stored below grade at my father’s house in Georgia. I’ve had all those for over 20 years. The last time I had partaken, it was a Miester Brau…..warm…..in the can. I still have that can. HAhahaha
matt gilbert

PostPosted: 1/20/2006, 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I wish you guys wouldn't dissuade Tim from carrying all that beer. He says he won't share, but I know better. How many beers are ya packing into Tonto this year Tim?

Last summer when i did the tonto we went up-stream the week before the hike and cached a nine-pack of beers. Wrapped them up in bandanas and cord and secured them in the water. Nice and cold when we finnally got down to them.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/20/2006, 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Last summer when i did the tonto we went up-stream the week before the hike and cached a nine-pack of beers. Wrapped them up in bandanas and cord and secured them in the water. Nice and cold when we finnally got down to them.

Wish I could have been there for that one!
azbackpackr
Hi Tech Wizardess

PostPosted: 1/27/2006, 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Holy moo cow! You guys are nuts! The only time I ever even drank a whole beer (I had drunk a half a beer a couple times before) was about 4 years ago in the Grand Canyon. South Canyon to be exact--Vasey's Paradise. My friend found a beer on the beach left by the rafters. Then he found another beer in a hidey hole he knew about because his river guide friends had shown it to him. He had thought there might be some weed in there, but there was only a pipe. (Wah!) Then he fanagled two more beers out of some rafters who came by. So anyway, I drank one beer. Got silly. Got pretty smart alecky in fact. One of my hiking pals is deaf and wears two hearing aids. He took them out and said, "Ha Ha!! I can't hear you!!" Had a hard time hiking out the next day, but it would have been hard even without the beer. South Canyon is a pain in the butt with a full pack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: