ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
West Baldy Trail #94

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 5/28/2003, 12:48 pm    Post subject: West Baldy Trail #94 Reply to topic Reply with quote

On Saturday the 24th of May 2003 my daughter Candice and I hiked most of the West Baldy Trail #94. The West Baldy Trail is a great one. The trailhead used to be at Sheeps Crossing, but I think they moved it back up the hill to avoid all the congestion caused by fishermen and hikers converging in the same area. As a result the trail is now 8 miles to the reservation boundary not 7 (you cannot go to the summit as it is sacred Apache land). We promised the sisters back at camp that we would be back by 3. We were on the trail by 9:30 and got back to the trailhead about 2:30. It was a wonderful trek; the scenery was awesome. About half of the trail winds along side of the West Fork of Little Colorado. I have never seen it as full as it was. There were numerous smaller tributaries all along the trail feeding into it. And as you can see by the pictures there was quite a bit of snow still on the upper slopes of Baldy and plenty at the top. The air was fresh and filled with the aroma of damp fur and spruce forest. This hike was definitely a SPOONFUL.

http://www.extremezone.com/~kurth/BaldyWestforkTrail/
sam_hikes

PostPosted: 5/29/2003, 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Stan,

Great report/pics. Miss Baldy even more now. Very Happy

Climbed it 2 different times last summer as loop hikes up east/west side.

Official top is very strange as there was no sign or fence warning people. Forest Service reports of people getting their gear taken by police and sometimes even by the locals for trespassing. Evil or Very Mad

I remember when 20+ years ago Baldy Peak was open to all.
Nealz

PostPosted: 6/2/2003, 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very nice Stan. The residual snow is a nice touch too. I was in Alpine and hiked Escudilla Mtn over Memorial Day and saw some leftover snow as well. It sure is pretty up around there. So far, the eastern White Mtns. are still fairly wet from winter snowfall and they've had some summer rains already too. Should help during fire season.

-Nealz
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 6/3/2003, 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Nealz wrote:
Very nice Stan. The residual snow is a nice touch too. I was in Alpine and hiked Escudilla Mtn over Memorial Day and saw some leftover snow as well. It sure is pretty up around there. So far, the eastern White Mtns. are still fairly wet from winter snowfall and they've had some summer rains already too. Should help during fire season.

-Nealz

Yes Nealz I agree, seems like that section of the state gets weather when the rest doesn't. We experienced a nice thunder storm the day we left. Also I had Escudilla on the itinerary but ended up doing a short version of the East Baldy trail #95. Escudilla is on my wish list. Love that country.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 6/5/2003, 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Is the milage 8 miles on way or RT? If it's one way then you did 16 miles in 5 hours?? You and your daughter rock Stan.
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 6/6/2003, 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

k9hiker wrote:
Is the milage 8 miles on way or RT? If it's one way then you did 16 miles in 5 hours?? You and your daughter rock Stan.

It is one way and we did not summit. We went in about 6 1/2 miles, so about 13 miles RT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Trip Logs & Trail Descriptions All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: