ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Heat Injuries.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
azrocks

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

20 years ago, we dayhiked the Grand Canyon with a liter of water, and the
rescues were for dehydration. 10 years ago, the trip leader would make
everyone carry and drink 6 liters, and I would chug down 2 liters at breakfast,
and the Park Service rescues were for hyponatremia. Maybe now we will switch
back to dehydration. The usual advice now is to monitor urine color and
frequency, but I wonder how many do that. On that evidence, I'm drinking way
too much, but I worry about running out of water, not salt. I also drink much
more from a bladder - I believe that's how I got converted from bottles !
I read somewhere that the salt level in the brain takes 24-48 hours to adjust,
so if the salt level outside the brain goes up or down, osmotic pressure causes
the brain to shrink or swell, and that it's the brain swelling from hyponatremia
that kills you.
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sidhayes-
I'd love to be able to hike or work out everyday but some of us work a schedule that does not allow such luxuries.... I am doing good getting three work outs a week. If I don't hike I play racquetball and that is also a good work out. Then there is the matter of having hiking/racquettball partners with witch to play....
sidhayes

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Regardless, the problems are still basically a matter of ones physical condition.
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sidhayes wrote:
Hike/workout every day. Your problems are more a matter of conditioning.

I beg to differ with you Sid. Summertime Arizona heat is a special circumstance. I was told that the more conditioned runner types and the unknowledgable newbies account for almost all of the Grand Canyon rescues.
The rest of us of drink when we are thirsty and eat salty things because our bodies scream for them and we rest because we are tired.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 6/4/2003, 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Excuse me sidhayes! I am a gym rat+ x dancer.I am at the gym either on an elliptical plus weights plus kickbox class at least 5 days a week. I do have exercise induced asthma,especially when the dirt,heat and ozone are high.Conditioning is not the problem. I do much better in Flagstaff even with elevation, as the air is clean! Real air! What a concept!! I usually try to head North on Mondays,but I hear that forests will be closing in Payson and Prescott.Not already! What a bummer! Sad Anyone else hear about closings??
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

PostPosted: 6/5/2003, 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Slight change of subject here. A couple of months ago I added a drink mix to my Campmor order just to try it out. The brand is Boyds and it is called spiced country creme. It is supposed to be a hot drink. I tried some for the first time the other day and it was good cold and mixed up just fine. It tastes like egg nog--I guess it is egg nog. The reason I brought this up is because it seems like a good thing to carry for variety. It has 110 calories and 180mg of salt , weighs 1 ounce. and cost 50 cents.
sidhayes

PostPosted: 6/5/2003, 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The elliptical is fine as well as are classes but I find that that they contribute little to the "real" world of hiking and learning to adapt to heat.
Arizonaheat
Got Supes Juice?

PostPosted: 6/5/2003, 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:
The elliptical is fine as well as are classes but I find that that they contribute little to the "real" world of hiking and learning to adapt to heat.

I would have to agree 100%, that nothing in the gym can compare to hiking or prepare you for hiking and it certainly won't acclimate you to the heat.
I still like to hit the gym serveral times a week to lift wieghts etc, as it also contributes positive returns as far as health and fitness, but in my mind there is nothing like a long strenous hike in the Supes.
GeorgAz

PostPosted: 6/6/2003, 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well Guys! My gym is old and kind of hot inside with not much moving air and I don't mind the sweating! I do not lag on hikes,either.Some of my deal is the sensitivity to the air quality and the pollution.Also I cannot take as much sun exposure as I did in the past,so any local hikes on my part are either early am or right before sunset.It's great right after a rain when the air is clear,but those days are few and far between !Really do enjoy Mt. Elden and trails on and around Humpheries.Wish I could get up there more often!

PostPosted: 6/6/2003, 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I find this all very interesting. I have asthma, induced by everything. Stress, exercise, allergens, pollutants. I also have pulmonary hypertension. And I workout, alot. I run most everyday. Most of my long runs (8+miles) are in the morning as that is when my time allows. I also run in the evenings 3x a week. I don't go to the gym anymore but I have a home gym, a nice one, and workout with weights 5 days a week. I also ride my bike on a regular basis. I consider myself to be in pretty porridge good shape. But, like George I have noticed that when the weather heats up and the pollution gets high I have a difficult time. Such as today. I missed my morning run due to asthma and and debating the use of a steroid burst to calm it down since none of the med's I have have been effective this time. I am in better shape at 43 than I was at 30. Yet my asthma continues to worsen. Also, like George, when I go up north, in spite of the altitude I have a much easier time. Of course conditionig is important and will improve how much we can withstand. But when you have a respiratory disorder, or anything else for that matter, there are factors that play in that one cannot totally control. Sid, I think instead of your insistance that it's all a matter of conditioning you should be grateful this doesn't affect you. And if it does that you have been fortunate enough to have it under control. Not all of us are so lucky. Your education and training should have taught you that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Health, Training, First Aid All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: