ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Wild Horses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGO

PostPosted: 1/1/2006, 7:28 pm    Post subject: Wild Horses Reply to topic Reply with quote

Look who I found while walking around in the wilds today.

"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 1/1/2006, 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thar first one is a real beauty of a shot and the second shows the vast terrain very well.
threedogz

PostPosted: 1/1/2006, 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What a beautiful picture! I haven't seen wild horses yet. I make trips to visit inlaws way up in Pahrump Nevada, and have been told there are many out there in that mountain pass. Is this true? I may have to go on an excursion up there next time I'm in that area.

These horses look rather large and stocky to be mustangs...do you know what kind they are?

I love images of horses...makes me want to get one again.

Thanks for sharing those!

Heidi
IGO

PostPosted: 1/1/2006, 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you sir. It was overcast and I was hand holding a 300 MM so I set the digital ISO at 800. I couldn't really ask for more under the circumstances. I got within 70 yards of these guys.
"Surely all God's people, however serious or savage, great or small, like to play. Whales and elephants, dancing, humming gnats, and invisibly small mischievous microbes - all are warm with divine radium and must have lots of fun in them." John Muir
IGO

PostPosted: 1/1/2006, 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I got sidetracked while trying to pick out a route to Hamblin Peak for next weekend and I ended up in a really bizarre checkerboard of micro canyons. Finally I just tried to surface to get my bearings back. When I did crest a ridge, I saw these guys 700 yards out but they didn't see me. I was upwind from them. I loaded my big lens and snuck down to within 200 yards when I picked up a trail that was as good as a park trail. When I got really close, I walked closer but at angles and never made eye contact. For a minute I thought they were going to stay. I shot as long as I wanted to. Then my curiosity turned to that trail again. I walked it all the way to slick rock then crossed slick rock for 300 yards to a spring I knew. Coming in earlier I saw hoof prints in the gravel but I thought it was pack or saddle animals. It was on my way down and coming from a different direction that I ran into this trail that starts and ends in places humans just wouldn't pick as a normal coarse for any exploration in here. This trail had been used by the horses forever but I had no reason to believe a human would have ventured this far off the drainage route anytime recently. Point is, I marked this trail with my GPS and I'm quite sure I can find these guys again.
You've got to go through here to get to Pahrump and I'd be glad to show you and yours horses in the wild anytime.
I've seen many horses in the wild. The first time was when I circumnavigated Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia. I woke one morning to a horse goofing off doing who knows what to the roof of my tent; just chewing at it but not doing any damage. I've heard a lot of critters outside my tent before but I've never seen the shadow of a 7-foot critter looming over my tent before. Scared me half to death. LOL.
This sighting was a real treat. I'm so happy to be here in the west again.
IGO

PostPosted: 1/1/2006, 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot:
>and have been told there are many out there in that mountain pass. Is this true?

Yes it's true. I'm not sure how many are in the 160 pass but I expect there has to be some. My horses today were on Lake Mead and I didn't know there were horses there but I've seen many on Mt Charlston which is the big hill up chain from your said pass going over to Parump.

Inlaws from Pahrump? That's interesting. Chin Scratching
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/1/2006, 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very Cool, never seen any wild horses yet. One of my favorite pictures is one the Arizonaheat posted of a bunch in the Supes. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 1/1/2006, 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok Here it is:

It was in this gallery, http://www.arizonahikers.com/forum/modules.php?set_albumName=albvc41&id=IMG_5316&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

A lot of other great pictures on there as well.
IGO

PostPosted: 1/1/2006, 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'd sit there for hours just giggling under my breath. What a treasure.
Shihiyea

PostPosted: 1/2/2006, 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Way Cool! I've never seen wild horses! That would be exciting to see. Mary
DesertDog

PostPosted: 1/2/2006, 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was fortunate enough to come upon a small band of wild horses several years ago while tubing the Salt River with a group from the small chuch I was attending at the time.
Got to see them up close and personal; very close- right on the river bank, maybe 20 yards away, and all-too-personal, as the stallion decided that this was a wonderful afternoon in which to mate.
Jerome and I were the only males in our little flotilla, and the silence for the next several hundred yard was deafening....... Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: