ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
WFW III - August 5-7, 2005
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVENT DETAILS

Event Coordinator
Tom Treks
PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 7:16 pm    Post subject: WFW III - August 5-7, 2005 Reply with quote

What is it: The West Fork Wade is a canyoneering adventure which begins at the top of the rim and follows the West Fork of Oak Creek 14 miles to the trailhead at Call of the Canyon. There is a possibility it will require some short swims (hopefully), but there is no technical climbing required. This year may be interesting due to the flooding that occurred over the past Winter. It will definitely be a different hike compared to the past two years. I know I'm pretty stoked about it. WFW III here we come! This will be our third annual trek!

An alternative hike will also be available, which is the normal out and back beginning at Call of the Canyon. This optional hike can be extended beyond the "get your feet wet" point, which is about 3 miles in. This will be the end-point of the main WFW "day-hike". Those who can make sure that a few 'cold ones' are available at the end of the trek will be GREATLY appreciated. You will really like that end of the canyon for sure.

The Plan: We will be rising early on Saturday morning to make the drop-in point early enough for a dusk exit at Call of the Canyon. Figure around 5:30 or 6:00 a.m. wake-up. We should hit the road for the drop-off by 7:00 a.m. If the weather looks too threatening for the top-down hike, a decision will be made whether to call the main hike, or not. Plan B will be to start the hike from the bottom, and see how far we can get before turning around. The shuttle situation will be finalized on Friday night or Sat morn.

Campsite: The plan this year is to fore-go the established campground, and set up just North of I40 and exit 190. Directions: From Flagstaff, take I-40 W west about 5 miles to exit 190, A-1 Mountain Road. Go right at the stop sign onto FR 506. You'll pass by a to-be-built subdivision on the left. From where the road turns to dirt at a cattle guard (about 1/4 mile from the interstate), go 0.9 miles to a turnoff for the camping area on the left. The road is fine for low-clearance vehicles.

Directions to Call o' the Canyon - Take 89A south 17.5 miles south from Flagstaff or north 9.5 miles from Sedona to about halfway between milepost 385 and 384. Located on West side of 89A.

Directions to hike drop off - Take I-40 to exit 191 (Bus 40). Take a right and head East to Woody Mountain road (FR 231). Take that South about 15 miles to the bridge spanning Oak Creek. There is room to park a few vehicles if necessary. Gravel road, and low-clearance okay.

What to bring: Pack light and waterproof everything the best you can. It will be wet with cold pools, wet, possibly warm at times, wet, a long day, wet... so pack accordingly.

Please post as to whether or not you will be joining the group on Friday night, or not. We will be hitting our favorite carb spot Bun-Huggers for the Friday night carb feast at 7:00 p.m. We will then retire to our 'abodes' back at the campsite.

Dinner on Saturday night will be some BBQ hot dogs, brats, and such.

HikerInGilbert - dogs and brats
Sherileeaz - taco salad, dogs, buns, chips, and chopped onions
Paintninaz - potato salad
Hikngrl - some dessert, brat toppings
si-na-ti - bottled water, various soda and beer
Davis2001R6 - dogs and buns, toppings
kurthzone - paper plates, napkins, plastic ware and assorted buns
outside1 - chips and buns
Azhiker96 - melons
Hooli - mustards and kraut
oriole_scott - veggie dogs and dessert
wanderingsoul - pasta salad

Please PM me if you need any other info, or have any concerns.

Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been thinking about that lately. I think the WFW decision is going to have to be consensus Friday night, or Sat morning. Maybe do the Call o' Canyon end as a backup plan and see how far we can get. That way we can still get a little canyoneering fun in.
jkern15674

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

How many hours is the wade going to take?? 12....13....14...15 hours?? There is no doubt that the monsoon season is in full swing. I have relatives up in the verde valley and I can find out what time the cells are building up at. Last week the cells in sedona started approx 3pm so we could be about 1/2 the way down the hill. Either way it's going to be a crap shoot. If we did the COTC or top to bottom and got stuck mid-way in a flash flood what difference would it matter?? either way you screwed!! I am in for rolling the dice and taking the plunge. We might have to do the hustle for the second 1/2 of the hike??
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I was wondering that myself, is there a difference in the direction you do this hike?

What ever is decided, there are some of us that want to meet the group coming out of the hike so keep us posted. Either call my cell or Michelle, call me Saturday morning so we know. Either way, we'd like to make sure we are there to help with refreshments, etc.

Thanks,
Sheri
oriole_scott

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

In Flagstaff, the thunderstorms have been getting going by 1pm or so most days.

I'm wondering how big the flash flood risk is down there. The reason you get huge flash floods in slot canyons in southern Utah is that the watersheds are all bare rock and dirt, so the water just runs off without soaking in. The watershed for West Fork is mostly forested, which should mean that the ground can absorb a lot of water before you'd get a flash flood. Is there really that much of a risk?
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good points, but with all the rain that area has been getting, the water tables may be a tad full to begin with. The thing that makes me nervous about heavy rain in the area, is that there is absolutely no bailout points along the way. Not much high ground either, if any. The more water we encounter along the way, the longer it's going to take. I'd say around 10-11 hours would be the norm, if not a tad quicker. We averaged a little more than a mile an hour on the top end a couple years ago. That was a 5 pooler. We may see 7 this year.

This should definitely be a concern. Odds are we won't have any issues, but live to hike another day I say. Ya know? We'll see how it goes.
azhiker96

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good plan Tom. It rained on us last year and while we didn't get flooded it did raise my alertness on the hike. There are some areas that do not have escapes and I seem to recall walking under a log that was sideways across the slot. As long as we get an early start we should be through before the monsoons kick into gear.
roger

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

FOR THOSE WANTING TO DO THE CALL OF THE CANYON (HIKE FROM THE BOTTOM UP) A FEW THOUGHTS:

I did this last year with Letty and there are a few things you all should know.

- You need a Red Rock Pass to park at the trailhead. The pass is available at several places through out the canyon. (it cost a few bucks)

- The parking for the trail head doesn't open up until 9:00 or 10:00 AM. We may need to call the ranger station this year to verify this.

- The hike into the canyon consists of a nice three mile hike on a trail (very easy) with lots of photo opps. Then the trail dead ends into the creek and if you want to go further you must don your water shoes (I used Teves last year and they worked great). At this point you hike or wade in and out of the creek for as far back as you want.

Last year we hiked another two miles after the trail ended to a spot in the creek where there was protection from the rain and hail we encountered.

- Last year the hike took about an three plus hours to get to the five mile mark were we waited for the Top-Downers to show up. If I recall they started to meander in about 2:00 PM and all were out of the canyon around 4:00 PM.

Its a fun little hike.... All those not doing the Top-Down really should consider this.

roger
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Didn't it rain on you guys most of the time last year?

Would anyone consider this a doggie do-able hike? Need to get the Pup out! Also I would need to figure out the shuttle for her too then.

TIM
Tom Treks
Gear Addict

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

roger wrote:
FOR THOSE WANTING TO DO THE CALL OF THE CANYON (HIKE FROM THE BOTTOM UP) A FEW THOUGHTS:

Thanks for the additional info Roger. Never done it from the bottom up myself, although was very happy to see that last 3 miles the past couple of years.

I figure that this year we will be getting to the end around 5:30-6:30. Just a guess. It will be getting a little dark by that time, so bring along something to illuminate the trail just in case if you're doing the top-down.

Yeah, it rained a few times Tim, but it was a pretty docile trek last year. Just two pools.
sherileeaz

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The parking for the trail head doesn't open up until 9:00 or 10:00 AM. We may need to call the ranger station this year to verify this. - Roger

Roger, thanks for that info. I know that last year Trish and I had to wait in a line to get a parking space. We had to wait til someone left. I don't recall the exact time but I believe mid-afternoon.

We started our hike and it immediately started to rain. Go figure. We met Michelle on the hike out and continued with her. But low and behold I turned around and there was AZHiker96 behind us and the first one out. Maybe the rain put wings on his boots?! lol

Looking forward to seeing everyone this year too!

PS: Isn't this the fun of it too, the unknown? lol Of course I'll be sitting in my CR-V wondering whats next. Laughing

Sheri
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

roger wrote:

- You need a Red Rock Pass to park at the trailhead. The pass is available at several places through out the canyon. (it cost a few bucks)

Has the Call O' the Canyon parking lot changed to Red Rock Pass? In the past, Red Rock Pass was NOT accepted; instead you had to pay a $7 fee at the entrance.
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The Red Rock Pass isn't required or accepted at Call O' the Canyon because it's a fee area. Unless you want to spring for the Red Rock Grand Pass, $40. Not a bad investment if you're planning on a lot of trips to that area over the next year.

Coconino National Forest wrote:
Where Is The Red Rock Pass Honored?
All Red Rock Passes are honored throughout the Red Rock Area, including Palatki, V Bar V and Honanki (providing parking is available). All other fee sites are excluded.

The Red Rock “Grand Pass” provide unlimited visits to other day-use fee sites including: Call of the Canyon (West Fork of Oak Creek), Crescent Moon Ranch, Grasshopper Point and Banjo Bill.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/about/districts/red-rock/redrockpass_home.shtml
paintninaz

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Davis2001R6 wrote:
Would anyone consider this a doggie do-able hike? Need to get the Pup out! Also I would need to figure out the shuttle for her too then.

TIM

Tim, I was gonna take Rocky last year and folks talked me out of it, I'm glad they did! It'd be a long one for Emma I think, especially if there's more water this year.

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
Hnak

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the directions. I'll be getting back to PHX around 3 on Friday, so hopefully I'll be able to get to the Bun Huggers 'cholesterol loading' function... I'm outta here in the morning and I'll be out of computer range for the week, so I'll see you all on Friday...

Hank
si na ti

PostPosted: 7/31/2005, 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm coming in from Call of the Canyon. Bring on the rain, it'll make my day. Will soften the heartache of not being able to make top to bottom.

No Red Rock Pass required. Just a possible long wait and a $5 fee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: