ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Brush fire burning near Scottsdale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 6:23 pm    Post subject: Brush fire burning near Scottsdale Reply to topic Reply with quote

This one's burning just north of us, about a mile away on it's western end. Mrs Mike was out earlier near the area and said she could see the flames. We've had helicopters flying overhead for the last few of hours and can see the smoke out our living room window.
azfamily.com wrote:
Brush fire burning near Scottsdale

05:08 PM Mountain Standard Time on Friday, July 15, 2005
By 3TV

A two-alarm brush fire is burning Friday afternoon near 56th Street and Mayo Boulevard in Phoenix.

About 60 acres have burned near Loop 101, south of Desert Ridge Market Place.

The fire is in a rural area, but there are some apartments in the vicinity. They are not currently in jeopardy.

A Firebird helicopter is dropping water onto the fire.

On Loop 101, the eastbound off-ramp for Scottsdale Road is closed, but the freeway is open in both directions.

The area is a refuge for the burrowing owl.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/local/stories/KTVKLNews20050715.ace13cd2.html
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pit roast owl? What would you fix to go along with that?
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Charcoaled lizard and snake.

GTG
fairweather8588

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Saw that on my way to work today ( www.chicagopizzajoynt.com ), looked veeery close to where I live

Kerouac
Hikngrl
Canyoneering is my 'Happy Place'

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

sredfield wrote:

Fried okra of course!

That is a sick mind that came up with that question Sean! Cracked Up

I want to shine!
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I went over to Buffalo Wild Wings over there for dinner and stopped by Petco, the Petco parking lot was the staging area for all the fire trucks. It reaked like smoke but was just about out, they had two choppers working it at the time. Mayo blvd was close from Scottdale to 56th st at the time. After dinner everything was cleaned up and we drove back on mayo. You could see where the fire had run, it ranged from right next to the street to a ways back, in little patches everywhere.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did it look like it started next to the street? I figure some doofus threw a cigarette butt out the window. Evil or Very Mad

Off Topic -- We've been meaning to check out Buffalo Wild Wings soon, how is it?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Did it look like it started next to the street? I figure some doofus threw a cigarette butt out the window.

It may have, I think that my wife heard that there was a car fire along Mayo though, I imagine that could have started it too?

Buffalo Wild Wings! I'm a big wing fan so I love that place, them and Zipps are my two favorite wings places. Zipps is much more bar like though. BWW has lots of other menu choices too and TV's all over the place!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is from the East Valley Trib:
East Valley Tribune wrote:
50-acre brush fire closes Scottsdale Road at rush hour
By Amanda Lee Myers, Tribune
July 16, 2005

A brush fire Friday afternoon threatened two apartment complexes and forced Scottsdale Road to close during rush-hour traffic, causing delays for thousands of motorists.

The blaze started about 3 p.m. in dry vegetation near 56th Street and Mayo Boulevard in east Phoenix and spread "very rapidly," said Elby Bushong, a division chief with the Phoenix Fire Department.

"The wind has been brutal on us," Bushong said. "It made it very difficult for crews to get a handle on it."

Bushong said about 100 firefighters from the Phoenix and Scottsdale fire departments contained the 50-plus-acre fire at 68th Street and kept it from the complexes.

"They put themselves, their trucks and everything they had in between the fire and the structures," he said. "The job that they performed is nothing short of spectacular."

The fire came within 100 feet of the apartments, but crews did not evacuate residents, Bushong said.

"It would have taken the better part of the day to do that," he said. "It was easier to use resources to protect the complexes rather than try to evacuate them."

The cause of the fire, which was contained at 5:40 p.m., was unknown, he said.

An Arizona Department of Public Safety helicopter also was used to fight the fire.

Because of the fire, the Scottsdale Police Department closed Scottsdale Road between Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard and Loop 101, and DPS closed Scottsdale Road ramps.

The closure, which started around 4 p.m., lasted more than two hours

"The road was really backed up," said Scottsdale resident Grady Soiné.

Soiné, corporate sales representative at Borders in Scottsdale, said it took him 30 minutes to get from Scottsdale and Bell roads to the bookstore at Scottsdale and Loop 101, normally a five-minute drive.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=44665

I'm a big wings fan, too. Long Wong's & Native New Yorker are the tops for me. We also like the boneless wings at Chili's. I haven't had the wings at Zipps. There was one across the street from my old office. Believe at or not, the best I've ever had were at a bowling center out in the West Valley, Olive & 90 something avenue, I think.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/17/2005, 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We drove past the site of this fire late this afternoon on our way from Desert Ridge to the Promenade. There was still some smouldering visible just south of Mayo Blvd. The damage doesn't look too bad.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/17/2005, 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

The damage doesn't look too bad.

Yeah it looked very patchy, a little here, a little there.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We just found out a little bit ago, there's a fire burning in the vicinity of 56th Street and Union Hills. That's a mile or so north of where we live. We've had helicopters flying overhead and lots of sirens in the neighborhood. We're not sure exactly where it's burning, still trying to find details.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

There is that horse park area that's just north of there.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/18/2005, 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just saw some video on channel 15. The fire appears to be burning mainly east of 56th street and just south of Mayo Hospital, in Reach 11. It looks like has crossed under 56th street and is burning on the west side of the street, as well. This fire is just west of the area that burned on friday.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/19/2005, 6:58 am    Post subject: Crews battle brush fire in northeast Phoenix Reply to topic Reply with quote

azcentral.com wrote:
Crews battle brush fire in northeast Phoenix

The Associated Press
Jul. 18, 2005 11:58 PM

PHOENIX - Firefighters were battling a brush fire in northeast Phoenix that was threatening an unknown number of homes.

The fire burning near 56th Street between Bell and Union Hills got as close as 50 feet from some homes but officials believe they have stopped that one flank of the fire.

No evacuations were ordered.

The Phoenix Fire Department says winds as high as 30 miles per hour made the blaze move quickly and therefore harder to fight.

The cause of the fire was unknown.

The fire, which was reported around 10 p.m., was partially contained.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0718brushfire-ON.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: