ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Mt Rainier
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
si na ti

PostPosted: 7/5/2005, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Mt Rainier Reply to topic Reply with quote

Has anyone ever done Mt Rainier?

I have been given an incredible offer. A trip to Rainier. Everything paid for. 3 nights at the Paradise Inn. All permits for park and camping at Muir covered. All gear provided. Even plane ticket.

Problem is it is in Sept and I am afraid I am in no way near good enough shape to do this and I'm not sure 2 months is enough time.

Any advice?
evenstar

PostPosted: 7/5/2005, 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mt Rainier Reply to topic Reply with quote

si na ti wrote:
Has anyone ever done Mt Rainier?

I have been given an incredible offer. A trip to Rainier. Everything paid for. 3 nights at the Paradise Inn. All permits for park and camping at Muir covered. All gear provided. Even plane ticket.

Problem is it is in Sept and I am afraid I am in no way near good enough shape to do this and I'm not sure 2 months is enough time.

Any advice?

Yeah........GO!
When the Man waked up he said, "What is Wild Dog doing here?" And the Woman said, "His name is not Wild Dog anymore, but the First Friend, because he will be our friend for always and always and always. Take him with you when you go hunting."
--Rudyard Kipling, from Just So Stories, 1902
doug

PostPosted: 7/5/2005, 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't psyche your self out before you start,..... just get started and go!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 7/5/2005, 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go.
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

PostPosted: 7/5/2005, 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GO---you can do it. If you don't you will always wonder if you could.
Dirt Dog

PostPosted: 7/5/2005, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Depending on the kind of freebie it is, You should go. Sept. is the best time to go, the weather should be the best at that time of year (no rain) it is about the only time it doesn’t rain. You will love it, BIG trees, flowers, rivers… If you’re going to camp, it can get a little cool at night.

I just thought of something, what do you mean when you say "do Rainier"? are you talking about the Wonderland Trail, or mountaineering, or a day hike?
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/5/2005, 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGOGO!

I have a friend who just did it if you have any questions for him.

-TIM-
ghoster

PostPosted: 7/7/2005, 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Go, I was just there this week and it was cloudy and rainy for the whole time, well one day started out nice then got worse, but go if you have the chance, nothing like a real large mountain to inspire you for the rest of your life. Don't miss it. Smile
si na ti

PostPosted: 7/7/2005, 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

by 'do Rainier' I mean;

spend the first night at Paradise Inn. Take Skyline Trail to Pan Point to Pebble Creek to Camp Muir. Camp that night. take Cowlitz Glacier to Cathedral gap to Ingraham Glacier. Camp. from that point something about Diappoinment Clever Shocked (from there I got lost and scared) to the summit.

The person planning this is very experienced and feels I would be fine even though I have never done any mountaineering so to speak. I have my doubts.

Tim. If I send you my email could you pass it on to your friend? I have questions galore.
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/7/2005, 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I've researched it a little bit, Disappointment Cleaver is the standard / normal route most people take. It sounds like a good plan, especially taking a couple of days. Send me you e-mail and I'll give it to my friend.

-TIM-
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/7/2005, 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Here is what he wrote and a link to his pictures. This was also his first Mountainering trip.

Quote:

Hi everyone.

Well, most of you know that I took a little trip to Washington State last week to climb Mount Rainier, a 14,411-foot glacier near Seattle. My partners in crime are Mike Boylan from the TakeAHikeAZ group, my friend Paul Ostrowski from Chandler, Paul's friend Vaughn Ripley from Maryland and his brother Scean who lives in Tacoma, Scean's coworker Scott Spees, Mike Baum of Vantage Point Photography in Tacoma, and Mike's friend and fellow pilot Roy McCormick from Oregon.

I'm pretty proud of this accomplishment, so please allow me to brag a little. This is the chronicle of our 36-hour assault on Mount Rainier, and some killer photos to go along with the story.

http://users3.ev1.net/~charlesliu/pics/alpine/rainier.html

Enjoy!
Charles
wanderingsoul

PostPosted: 7/7/2005, 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I say go go go.... You can always stop to rest for a while on the way up. You'll probably do better than you think.... Go! Wink

Positive Thinking Is the Spark that Makes Dreams Happen~~~Unknown
Dirt Dog

PostPosted: 7/7/2005, 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002367096_webrainierrescue07.html
Daryl

PostPosted: 7/8/2005, 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don't go. I'll go instead.

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm going to Rainier in three weeks...all the way to the top. I can tell you a lot more once I get back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: