ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Humphrey/Flagstaff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbie

PostPosted: 7/11/2005, 11:31 pm    Post subject: Humphrey/Flagstaff Reply to topic Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new to Arizona hiking. Can anyone tell me about Humphrey? I am hiking this peak at the end of July. Do I need to bring warm clothes? Thanks. debbie[/i][/b]
CatValet
Got Gear?

PostPosted: 7/12/2005, 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Because of the altitude, (which causes you to increase respiration) you will dehydrate quickly. Take plenty of water, more than you think you will need.

Also, late July is monsoon season. It's a good idea to have raingear. If you see a storm gathering, it is a good idea to descend below the tree line. You don't want to face lightning above the trees where you are the tallest target.

It's about six miles to the summit. Last mile takes a while. Enjoy your climb. -R
Davis2001R6

PostPosted: 7/12/2005, 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It shouldn't be cold up there, but is usually always windy up top. I went in May, June, and July last year and wore shorts and a t-shirt the whole time. Late July could be monsoon season so leave early in the morning as they usually devolop in the afternoon. Like CatValet said about keeping hydrated be sure to eat regularly too. The trail is pretty straight forward and isn't difficult at all to follow. The are a few false peaks, so don't get your hopes up until you know you actually made it there.

Here is a some info on it:
http://www.hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=64
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 7/12/2005, 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

It shouldn't be cold up there, but is usually always windy up top. I went in May, June, and July last year and wore shorts and a t-shirt the whole time.

Please note that Tim wears shorts and a t-shirt for every hike. Be it in snow, rain or shine. Shocked

GTG
si na ti

PostPosted: 7/12/2005, 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
Quote:

It shouldn't be cold up there, but is usually always windy up top. I went in May, June, and July last year and wore shorts and a t-shirt the whole time.

Please note that Tim wears shorts and a t-shirt for every hike. Be it in snow, rain or shine. Shocked

GTG

Ya know Todd, some of us aren't into all that high tech clothing. Good old t shirt and shorts are all that is needed!

Have fun Debbie. Humphrey's is worth every step.
oriole_scott

PostPosted: 7/12/2005, 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One last suggestion: use sunscreen and a hat. At 10,000 feet the sun is twice as strong as at sea level, and you can fry on a sunny day up there.

Have a blast - it's a great hike.
k9hiker

PostPosted: 7/12/2005, 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hiked in July 2 years ago and we had a summer storm roll in about 10am. IT was freezing cold and rainy for the entire ascent and we had people coming down telling us to watch out for the hail as we got higher. We had to abort the mission at the saddle due to the lighting. I would definitely have some rain gear, poncho at least, and a light jacket, or more if you are a cold weather wimp.

have a great trip, I hope you make it
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Welcome to the funny farm. Consider getting out while you still can!

Any thing is possible, any time of the year. Last time up we had 4 or 5 different kinds of precipitation, some I'd not seen before or since.

Enjoy!
debbie

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies. I will bring rain gear. I have another question. Tell me about the quotes you all use at the end of the e-mails? What is the history behind this?

Thanks

debbie
Shawn
I'll sell you map to Lost Dutchman mine!

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

You set them up in your profile. I look at it as my chance to sound witty or wise, every time I post something. It's kind of like insurance for my stupid questions or lame attempts at humor that don't quite succeed.
debbie

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

again, thank you. I'll think of something to quote.. maybe something from the poetry of Donald Rumsfeld.

debbie
oriole_scott

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

debbie wrote:
maybe something from the poetry of Donald Rumsfeld

The one about the "known unknowns" and the "unknown unknowns" is my favorite. He's clearly the Walt Whitman of the 21st century. Very Happy
MikeInFHAZ

PostPosted: 7/15/2005, 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

kinda like this one?

what i do
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Good one Mike.

I was up in Flag the night before last. The locals were all complaining over the heat. Funny, I thought is was quite cool at 90 degrees. Mr. Green Got in a nice afternoon hike in pine forest and grassy little valleys. It was a beautiful reprieve from the southern summer deserts. Could have stayed in Havasu but they were going 120 degrees. Shocked

Be aware that if you are caught in a monsoon deluge that the temps can instantly drop more than 30 degrees. Take some good rainwear at the least along with LOTS of water.
debbie

PostPosted: 7/16/2005, 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I am going to like this site. What kind of rain gear? I like to travel light and would want something that wicks sweat away from the body...any new type of clothing out there? Anyone ever use different types and overheat? There are sooo many unknown unknowns.

debbie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: