ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Smoke and smell in my neighborhood!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 6/30/2005, 12:45 pm    Post subject: NASA PHOTO Reply to topic Reply with quote

It sure appears to me that the plumes in this NASA shot are headed in a North or Northeast direction which makes me feel like I did indeed see the smoke from the fire heading in that direction. The fire on the other side of the White Tanks the day and evening before the morning when Diane could smell it was clearly coming up and over the White Tanks toward the Northeast and during the course of the evening settling into our local hoods (Diane lives very close to me). Just don't want to look like a total idiot with no sense of direction.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/NewImages/images.php3?img_id=16953
kurthzone
Thread Killer

PostPosted: 6/30/2005, 12:55 pm    Post subject: ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

mike wrote:
Davis2001R6 wrote:

Well now there is a fire in a river bed in buckeye. saw it from the beginning while on the flight-line today.

That big thick cloud of smoke hanging over the Valley this afternoon is from the fire in Buckeye, the Buck Fire. It's burning in the Gila River bed. According to KTAR, the river bed is thick with salt cedar, which burns very fast and hot, and produces thick black smoke. It's at 150 acres.

There's also a new fire burning out in the Goldfields, called the Ghost Fire. It's small, only about 5 acres. I'm not sure where in the Goldfieds it is, maybe some of the East Valley members can fill us in.

And if that fire smoke is coming from Buckeye and covering Phoenix with smoke, the logic that follows in my mind is that smoke was traveling in a northeast direction just like the fire in the far west the day before! So yes Diane that smoke you smelled and I smelled at the same time was from the fire out west!
paintninaz

PostPosted: 6/30/2005, 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to topic Reply with quote

kurthzone wrote:
So yes Diane that smoke you smelled and I smelled at the same time was from the fire out west!

There was no doubt about it in my mind either! Ok

I could smell the smoke at my house as well, and I could see the smoke (which was W-SW of where I am) yesterday morning, so it had to have been from the fire near Buckeye (the Butte Fire, I believe it was named).

kurthzone wrote:
Just don't want to look like a total idiot with no sense of direction.

you only look that way when you're following Hoomer! Chuckle

“Friends make the bad times good — and the good times unforgettable.”
HUM469

PostPosted: 6/30/2005, 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know I could see the plume from the Buck Fire near Buckeye. I was working at the Warpped Tour yesterday and from my station, I had a great view to the south and west, and all I could see was a large column that slowly drifted to the north and east all day long till I could no longer see the tip of it way off into the east. All of these fires are just nuts. I know this one was a small one, and yet people thought its plume was a storm cloud. When it comes to the big fires then, like the Cave Creek one, I wonder if all those particals in the atmosphere are in fact capable of generating their own lightning and air currents?
Real Estate Executive to AZ
Special Projects Manager, AZCDE.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Wildfires & Other Natural Disasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: