ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Search and Rescue- How to get involved?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfredricks

PostPosted: 6/21/2005, 4:20 pm    Post subject: Search and Rescue- How to get involved? Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050621/ap_on_re_us/missing_scout

Another good end to a story!

I was wondering. Does anyone know how to get involved in Search and Rescue activities on a volunteer basis? Especially interesting would be lost hikers, etc ...stuff that needs to be done on foot. Any ideas?
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!

-Pete
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
Hnak

PostPosted: 6/21/2005, 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Contact the local sherrifs department. Here in Yavapai County, the search and rescue teams were operated under the direction of the sherrifs department. We had a quite a few different groups, horse, dog, 4x4, jeep, etc. I was in the Backcountry Unit, which sounds like what you would enjoy. I know that Maricopa County had a similar unit, but I don't know exactly how to get in touch with them...
pfredricks

PostPosted: 6/21/2005, 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

okay-Thanks!
"I am just going outside and may be some time."- Explorer Oates' last words before crawling out of his tent in -40 C temps. Sacrificed himself so as not to hold back his 1912 South Pole expedition teamates.
Daryl

PostPosted: 6/21/2005, 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I had been part of the Maricopa county team for awhile and the Pinal county team for awhile. It's not all it's cracked up to be. A lot of politics, personalities...

The best local team that I have experience is Superstition Mountain rescue and you can google their web site. They get used a lot and seem to be the most organized.

PostPosted: 6/21/2005, 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
I had been part of the Maricopa county team for awhile and the Pinal county team for awhile. It's not all it's cracked up to be. A lot of politics, personalities...

The best local team that I have experience is Superstition Mountain rescue and you can google their web site. They get used a lot and seem to be the most organized.

Yep, unfortunately it was politics and personalities that took a lot of the fun out of for me too... This group is a lot more fun...
lzyboy

PostPosted: 6/22/2005, 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

http://superstition-sar.org/membership.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Other Outdoors Activities All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: