ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
McDowell Mountains...What is the 'Notch'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boyd

PostPosted: 3/15/2003, 6:10 pm    Post subject: McDowell Mountains...What is the 'Notch' Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ok, Looking up at the McDowells, from my apartment complex which is located at Bell/FLW and Scottsdale Rd (looking East over the TPC) I see from right to left a peak with an antenna tower on it, which I assume is Thompson Peak and Two other closely grouped peaks. Then to the left of these I see a range with what appears to be a notch in the middle of it. The notch I would guess is a Granite Dome of some sort. The 'notch' looks like what is at the top of Pinnacle Peak, but is set in the middle of a range which appears to be 2-3 times PP's elevation.

I'm curious as to what this notch is called and how I should approach it. I have hiked up the backside of Thompson Peak only to discover a concrete access road on the other side heading down into fountain hills.

I am new to the area and have been combing the web for a site that might feature some photos of this group of mountains and help me identify what I am looking at, but haven't found any. I could post a photo somewhere I guess if necessary to answer this question.

I was hoping to hike up there Sunday or Monday weather permitting. Any help would be appreciated.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/15/2003, 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know Exactly what you are talking about - unfortunatly after extensive search, I do not have a name for you - Even the Topo maps Ive seen to not name that area....

Hopfully someone else will have the info.
tempe8

PostPosted: 3/15/2003, 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I believe what you might be seeing is what's called Tom's Thumb by the climbing community. It's very prominent from the TPC, just a granite "thumb" sticking up all by itself. I've climbed to the top with the AMC and it's really cool! Here's some more info:
http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listSection.php?SectionID=6115
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/15/2003, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Boyd, welcome to the site and to the area! You're right down the street from us. Do these mountains appear to be off in the distance beyond the McDowells? If so, they're probably the Mazatzals. Otherwise, you may be referring to Troon Mountain, which is the peak to the right of Pinnacle Peak, from your viewpoint.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/15/2003, 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tempe8 - Good call.... I was thinking Somthing-thumb, couldnt quite pull it out.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I misread this originallly. You're definitely talking about Tom's Thumb. I've never been up there myself, but I have a good friend who did that a year or so ago with his sons. I'll see him later this week, so I'll ask him how they approached it.

Meanwhile, check this link out: http://www.fountainhillsguide.com/rec_hike_mcdmtn_tom.html
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 8:15 pm    Post subject: Tom's Thumb and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

I hiked up to the base of the thumb in 1987 or 88. It is really an awesome piece of geology. My old roommate and I were big into "specimen" collecting at the time. We caught the biggest centepede I have ever seen, off of the south east side of that rock. Ask me about it on a hike sometime, or maybe at the next chili shindig. Wink

GTG
ck1

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom's Thumb and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

GTG wrote:
We caught the biggest centepede I have ever seen, off of the south east side of that rock. Ask me about it on a hike sometime GTG

Just curious...is it um...difficult...to...um..."catch"...a centepede? I've heard they're quite elusive. Very Happy Man, hope I can be there for that story! Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes Maybe we could poke around at bat guano while you tell the story Todd! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Razz Razz

"The Journey is the Destination"
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

What is the length of that hike? I wanna do!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It doesn't look or sound very long from the description I found. I'll ask my friend Wednesday night.
tempe8

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cakewalk,
The hike to Tom's Thumb is only about 30-40 minutes from the base. Only problem is that I don't quite remember how to get to the base as I wasn't driving when I went. It's basically south of Dynamite road around 120'sh St. It was a dirt road that was pretty straight (south) towards the mountain. Once on top, you've got great views to either side of the mountain (norht and south). To get up (and down) the thumb, you'll need some climbing gear, you should contact the AMC if you're interested, they have meetings once a month.
cakewalk

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I would love to bushwack it from the scottsdale side.
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We don't need no stinkin' trails!! Mr. Green
GTG
Was lost but now am found

PostPosted: 3/24/2003, 9:55 pm    Post subject: where and such Reply to topic Reply with quote

The dirt road is 128th st. Technically it is Dynamite, but it turns into Rio Verde around 118th st. or so. When I was last out there, going up the east side of that mountain, there was no real trail up there. We used to make our own. Once up on top, there really is a great view. Although I remeber there not being so many houses out there. Those big granite boulders are interesting to walk around too. I'm not into the whole "climb the rock" thing tough, so just walking around them is fine with me.
I was out at 128th st. today and I have never seen the desert so green. It was amazing. There's a waterhole along 128th st. that was the size of a small lake. I have never seen it that full before. Definetely a good year so far.

GTG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: