ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Gilbert Riparian Preserve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
cactuscat

PostPosted: 3/10/2003, 2:03 pm    Post subject: Gilbert Riparian Preserve Reply to topic Reply with quote

It's not exactly a hiking destination, but it sure is a nice place for a leisurely walk or bike ride. I volunteer at the Riparian Preserve, located behind the library at Greenfield and Guadalupe Roads, and would like to invite everyone to check out this wonderful place. The preserve takes up 110 acres, with 4+ miles of trails for walking and biking. You can experience tons of desert plants (the brittlebrush and globemallows are gorgeous right now) as well as an amazing variety of birds and other animals. There have been well over 100 different bird species spotted here from water/shore birds, to songbirds, and raptors - some of the highlights include the resident burrowing owls, great blue herons, and peregrine falcons. There are also tons of jackrabbits, cottontails, turtles, and at least one ringtail and one coyote. We're having our third annual Feathered Friends Festival on Saturday March 29 from 9am to 2:30pm, which is a fun free event and a great opportunity to get to know the place. There will be live animal and insect displays and over 50 activities and exhibits for adults and children - hope to see you there! Mr. Green
desertgirl

PostPosted: 3/10/2003, 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Did I read you right -- bike paths ? Very Happy Are these fairly easy or are they unimproved ?

What time is this place open
cactuscat

PostPosted: 3/10/2003, 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

The paths are very easy - flat with dirt/gravel. Open from dawn to dusk.
Greg Jackson

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm just down the street from the preserve and will have family visiting that weekend. Where in relation to the library will the festival be located?
cactuscat

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

It will mostly be set up in the parking lot just to the east of the library. It's going to be a big event - you won't have any trouble finding it! Mr. Green
ck1

PostPosted: 3/16/2003, 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We run past the preserve along the canal, and often detour thru the place to break up the boredom from time to time...it's a beautiful place. The ROTC kids from my school volunteer to take care of a section I think...if you haven't been there...check it out!

"The Journey is the Destination"
Greg Jackson

PostPosted: 3/18/2003, 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I found this link in my local paper with some more info about your festival.

http://www.riparianinstitute.org/featherfriends.html

Sounds like it will be a full house!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: