ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Barnhardt Trail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/1/2003, 11:00 pm    Post subject: Barnhardt Trail Reply to topic Reply with quote

Mike and I were talking about doing the Barnhardt trail sometime in the next few weeks. With all of the rain, and some good runoff - it could be the perfect time to see some of the seasonal waterfalls that trail is famous for.

What say you all? I would like to go either the 8th or the 22nd.

Anyone who would like to go - vote on the date you have the best availability - or suggest another one. I'm leaving the poll up for 5 days (ending by Thursday) so make your vote now.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
bzachar

PostPosted: 3/2/2003, 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Just an FYI:

We drove up to Payson today to shoot pictures of the snow-covered mountains, check out the Deer Creek TH and the road to Barnhardt TH (FR419).

We met some folks at the DCTH who had hiked in 5 miles and turned around. They said it was very wet... their pants were soaked half-way up to their knees.

We drove down FR419 a couple of miles but turned around before reaching the TH. About 95% is fine but there are sections where it is VERY MUDDY. There's been traffic on on the road since the rain(snow?) and the ruts are about 4" deep.

NWS is talking about another system coming through Thursday so I'd strongly recommend a high-clearance vehicle if the storm materializes and you go on the 8th.

Bill

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

One of these days I will actually make it to one of these group hikes. I promise, I have hiked many times before Wink I am having yet another surgery next week. The doc tells me 2-3 days in the hospital and the the expected recovery is 2-5 weeks. I'm counting, depending, on the 2 week plan. Maybe if I get lucky your plans will fall later and I will make it. If not, have a great time and I'll keep an eye out for something that finally works. Is the Barnhardt trailhead the one that is to the East or West of 87? I have an old friend that owned many acres up there and some popular trail ran through it. Must have been tough!
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/5/2003, 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Is the Barnhardt trailhead the one that is to the East or West of 87?

West, the turnoff is at Rye.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 3/8/2003, 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Sounds good, I've wanted to get back to the Mazatzal's since my visit there last summer. Unfortunately it ended early because of a massive rainstorm, combined with my 2wd truck on a road I wasn't too comfortable with before the rain. Can't wait for this one!
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Daddee
I once was a slug.

PostPosted: 3/10/2003, 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Well - for me, the date is set - March 22.

Everyone that would like to go - let it be known.

"...haven't you lived long enough to know that two men may honestly differ about a question and both be right?"
- Abraham Lincoln
dennisbench

PostPosted: 3/17/2003, 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm in, we are less than a week away, so how is this gonna happen, whos going, etc. Lets get some action on here.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: