ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Four Peaks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisbench

PostPosted: 2/22/2003, 6:58 pm    Post subject: Four Peaks Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm all about heading to do Brown's Peak sometime in the near future. From reading the trail description it seems like the traihead can be reached in a high clearance vehicle. I have no dates set or anything, but just wanted to float the idea out there to see if there is any interest in doing this hike. It would have to be on a weekend, as I have work and class during the week, but any weekend would do for me.
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
bzachar

PostPosted: 2/22/2003, 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

We've driven up to the Four Peaks parking lot several times. You don't need 4WD but good ground clearance is strongly advised. You can do it in a street car although you'll probably bottom out at Mud Springs.

We've hiked up to the saddle but never done the peak. We'd be interested in joining you.
Bill
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 2/22/2003, 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Brown's Peak is of high interest to me. I desperatly want to get up there. I've been wanting to do it for almost a year now since i first heard about it. I would do just about anything to get up there. Razz Multi

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
mike t

PostPosted: 2/23/2003, 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I drove up there in a VW Rabbit years ago without any problem. I just chose my route carefully and went slowly. (which you have to do anyways)
azhiker96

PostPosted: 2/23/2003, 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Any vehicle should be able to make it from the East side. I drove that route out a couple of years ago. It was smooth but has an almost constant grade. The route off the Beeline was in good shape a few months ago. It should be passable by a car as long as you take your time. A 2wd truck would have no problem.
Nighthiker

PostPosted: 2/23/2003, 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

When I worked in a grocery store and I would work till the store would close, I would head up to Four Peaks. I would spend the night at Lone Pine Saddle and spend the next day hiking to Browns Peak. I also like to park at the lower elevations, hike up to Lone Pine Saddle, camp and await a snow storm.
dennisbench

PostPosted: 3/10/2003, 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Question? Are the other three peaks hikeable from Brown's Peak or from anywhere else. what type of distance are we talking to conquer all of them? Is it even possible, or a couple days worth of hiking? I hear so much about the Four Peaks, but it is all in reference to Browns Peak. Do the others have names?
"In the first place you can't see anything from a car; you've got to get out of the goddamned contraption and walk, better yet crawl, on hands and knees...When traces of blood begin to mark your trail you'll see something, maybe."
-Ed Abbey
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/10/2003, 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I'm not sure if they have any names. They dont show any names on Topozone.com except for browns peak.

"Meaningless! Meaningless," says the teacher, "Utterly Meaningless, Everything is meaningless."-Ecclesiastes 1:2
mike
What box?

PostPosted: 3/10/2003, 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Quote:

Are the other three peaks hikeable from Brown's Peak

I believe azhiker96 may have done this last year. I've heard of others having done it, too.
Canyon Dweller

PostPosted: 3/11/2003, 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I remember some sort of thread stating that somebody did a traverse of all four peaks in one day.

azrocks

PostPosted: 3/12/2003, 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I know some folks who do the 4peaks ridgeline every year. It takes them 12
hours, and they do the Supes Ridgeline in 8. They start from the south peak,
Amethyst, and go north to Browns. It takes so long because of route finding
and backtracking through the catclaw. You can bail between each peak, but
the vegetation is tough, scratchy and waist high. There is a regular trail to
Amethyst Peak, which is a good hike in itself. The gate to the mine is usually
part-open, and the trail past the gate is covered in amethysts. I heard the owner
only fences off the mine for liability reasons, and doesn't mind if people squeeze
through the gate. It is private though, so if you are sensitive to that you can't
do the 4peaks ridgeline. It's exposed 4th class, and too hot in the summer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Hiking, Backpacking & Camping All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: