ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
They need shelter and built theirs next to mine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna Email to a Friend
  View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoyNhisDog
The dangerous place where the winds meet

PostPosted: 2/16/2005, 4:08 pm    Post subject: They need shelter and built theirs next to mine Reply to topic Reply with quote

This is one of the Cactus Wrens who are building their nest in my backyard. The cactus they chose was one I planted from a 2" pot that I got from Walgreens years ago. It started out about 2" high and now it is more than 12 feet high. The birds love it and we have different species building nests in it every year now.

The Cactus Wren is the Arizona state bird as you know. They are fun to watch and can be sassy. For this shot I went out into the backyard, sat down in one of my wrought iron chairs and waited. I wish I would have used a larger aperture to fuzz out the background better but the bird itself has good detail. They started a nest up higher a few weeks ago but for some reason decided to put it down a bit lower and the current one is looking very good. It is down a bit lower than the bird who is wondering where all that camera shutter racket is coming from.

Linda has been feeding the birds for years so we have beau coup species including humming birds who like the little purple flowers on a desert plant that is below and next to the cactus.

Abe

PostPosted: 2/16/2005, 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

I like that. Smile
cactuscat

PostPosted: 3/4/2005, 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cute - cactus wrens are some of my favorite birds. "Sassy" is a good word for them.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

PostPosted: 3/4/2005, 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to topic Reply with quote

Very cool! In my Tucson backyard, I'd occasionally have three hummingbirds hovering around and following as I tried to take care of yard work. Sometimes, on Siphon Draw in the Supers, a hummingbird get's in my face and just hovers as I try to do the ascent.

It's surprising how inquisitive these creatures are. Having a Hummingbird hovering six inches from your ear and following you around is a riot! You almost think they're affectionate :))

Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon. - Masahide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ArizonaHikers - Community Based Hiking Discussion Board Forum Index -> Flora & Fauna All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: